New Build Random Reset Problem

xmmp

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Within the last month I've built a computer. For the first week or so it was fine, but now I'm having some problems. Regardless of what I'm doing at the time, it will randomly power off, as if someone unplugged it from the wall. After about 2 seconds, it will power back up (I'm not pressing any buttons) and boot up into windows. Sometimes it happens maybe once a day, and other times it will happen several times in 15 mins. I pulled out 2 sticks of ram, and I thought maybe that solved the problem, since it didn't happen for a week. But recently it has started happening again. To my knowledge (I'm still learning), I am not overclocking anything as I've left all the settings as they were in bios and haven't played around with the Asus Suite II utilities.

Windows Event log says:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41

Specs: (new parts)

Seasonic X-850w PSU
Asus Sabertooth z77 Mobo
I5 2500k
MSI N560 GTX-Ti
2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 [Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL] (currently only have 8GB installed)

The QVL from Asus lists the exact specs my ram has, but with a different model number. But everything else is the same. (voltage, cas, etc..)

Windows 7 64bit, fresh install.

Old parts: WD 1tb hdd & DVD drive.

Any ideas would be most helpful. Thank you.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Could be a few things really:

Faulty PSU
Overheating
Motherboard Shorting out on case
Loose cable

Temperatures would be the first thing to check. Download HWMonitor and keep an eye on your temps.

Are there any specific activities your doing when the computer decides to reboot? Any specific game or application that's running?

xmmp

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I'll check into updating the bios. I know there is an update, just was a little hesitant cause I didn't want to mess anything up, granted, it seems like something is already messed up. :p

I was using a surge protector until I made the post yesterday, then I decided to bypass it and I'm going straight into the outlet. This is just for troubleshooting the surge protector, but I really don't suspect its the surge protector.

Temps for the cpu seem to be anywhere from the upper 20'c to the upper 30'c. That is idle temp. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 installed. All other components are looking good. However, in HWmonitor where it lists the voltages, my 12v is currently 7.08v and max is only 7.14v. In asus suite, the 12v is right at 12v.

I'll check my cables when I get home from work, and also read on motherboard shorting out.

Also, there is nothing specific I am running when it resets. It has happened while gaming or while just browsing the internet. Also has happened at a fresh boot up while still at the login screen. I can't seem to replicate the error and as of yesterday posting this topic it has not happened, but I'm sure its not fixed.

snowboarder1985ca

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I too am having the same error you're experiencing and it doesn't have any reason or rhyme. I can't recreate the error on my own so it is rather frustrating to try to solve as a problem. I too will look into the Bios update and other items mentioned, but my machine is ice cold when this occurs so I'm rather puzzled at this point.