Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2012 8:17:34 PM

Hello Tom´s Hardware Community,

I have been reading lot´s of benchmarks, reviews, forums, on a daily basis since the release of Ivy Bridge and some time before. I have already purchased the 3570k and a Samsung 830 128gb SSD. I need help in deciding the rest of the components. I am fully aware of the high temperature from the 3570k so I have decided I need an aftermarket cooler. I have to choose between three options, Hyper 212 evo, 612 Pwm and h80.

As for the other parts,

Mobo- Asus p8z77-v Pro (I don´t really need the Wifi, but this board is available to me. I can choose Asrock extreme 4-6, Gygabite Ud3h- Ud5, but I am not to sure about any of them based on gygabite fail BIOS, Asrock being kinda new. Please help me pick, Asus is the most expensive of them all).

Ram Hyper X 2x4Gb 1600

Evga 680

Tr2 RX Thermaltake 750w

Overseer RX-I Full Case

I want to OC this to 4.0-4.2, I live in a very humid and hot place. Keeping my computer cool is a must.

I am going to buy this set up on June 9 so I have some time to decide on the rest of the parts. Please help me as soon as possible.

Thank you very much, this is my first post.

More about : gaming build

Best solution

May 29, 2012 8:27:05 PM

1: get a gigabyte board. they have a good bios and their PCB is designed for huid environments. the UD5 is the most optiomal given dual nics and other great features. its a better value compared to asus
2: either get a hyper 212 evo or get a tpc 812 vapor chamber cooler. they are both great
3: dont get hyper x ram. it runs at 1.65v and will degrade your ram controller much faster. aim for a kit such as mushkin blackline, crucial ballistix, or vengence low profile
4: not point of getting a 680 when a 670 performs within 5-8% of a 680. get either a asus directcu2 top 670 or a gigabyte windforce 670. both are great options. or you can wait for msi to come up with their twin frozer (aka. freezer) version

oc to 4.2 ghz isnt all that hard. the specs i gave you should do it fine
May 29, 2012 8:50:25 PM

TheBigTroll said:
1: get a gigabyte board. they have a good bios and their PCB is designed for huid environments. the UD5 is the most optiomal given dual nics and other great features. its a better value compared to asus
2: either get a hyper 212 evo or get a tpc 812 vapor chamber cooler. they are both great
3: dont get hyper x ram. it runs at 1.65v and will degrade your ram controller much faster. aim for a kit such as mushkin blackline, crucial ballistix, or vengence low profile
4: not point of getting a 680 when a 670 performs within 5-8% of a 680. get either a asus directcu2 top 670 or a gigabyte windforce 670. both are great options. or you can wait for msi to come up with their twin frozer (aka. freezer) version

oc to 4.2 ghz isnt all that hard. the specs i gave you should do it fine

Thanks for your fast reply, I don´t have the 670 available to me, just the 680. I will take note on the ram, will most likely pick the Hyper 212 evo and Ud5 seems more attractive from your statement.

Any other tips?
Thank you sir for your insight.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 10:44:26 PM

forgot to mention. you might want to change up your power supply. a good one is the xfx 750w core edition (=non-modular and 80+ bronze) or the XXX edition (=semi-modular and 80+silver) they are both made be seasonic (best power supplies in the industry). if there is corsair power supplies (also made by seasonic) take the tx750 v2
m
l
May 29, 2012 11:28:06 PM

TheBigTroll said:
forgot to mention. you might want to change up your power supply. a good one is the xfx 750w core edition (=non-modular and 80+ bronze) or the XXX edition (=semi-modular and 80+silver) they are both made be seasonic (best power supplies in the industry). if there is corsair power supplies (also made by seasonic) take the tx750 v2

Thanks again for ur advice I found this one XFX 750 w PRO. Is this good enough? I am buying locally so availability is of a concern.
m
l
May 29, 2012 11:32:15 PM

Anything relating to XFX PSUs are always guaranteed excellent quality. Seasonic manufactures ALL of XFX's PSUs. :) 
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:26:39 AM

750w will be enough for your system + future SLI. my friend has the xfx psu and he couldnt hear it at all
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:49:03 PM

Thank you both for your answers, this is my updated build,

Cpu: 3570k (Already Purchased)
Mobo: Gigabyte z77 Ud5h
Cooler: Hyper 212 evo (Do I need to buy additional Thermal Paste Artic Silver 5?)
Gpu: Evga 680
SSD: Samsung 830 128gb (Already Purchased)
Power Supply: XFX Pro 750w

I need to pick only two more parts

Ram: Corsair Vengance 1600 2x4gb (not Low Profile), Samsung 1600 2x4gb, Patriot Division 4 Viper Extreme 1600 2x4gb

I don´t have much availabe to me at the moment, I only hope my cooler is clear from the ram heatsinks.

Case: Overseer Rx-i or Chaser MK??

Since I saved some money with your suggestions, the Chaser Mk which is more expensive seems more appealing to me now. What are your opinions on this?

What do you think on the system overall, is it good for gaming? I am really aiming to overkill games, I have spent all my life playing on low, its time for me to go ULTRA!

Thanks,
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:31:04 PM

1:no. you dont necessarliy need silver 5. if you want to though, i would just get artic cooling mx-4. mx-4 is slightly better than silver 5 and does not need to be cured
2: for a case, i would just get something functional and plain such as antec 302
m
l
May 31, 2012 2:52:46 PM

I received yesterday my 3570k and my samsung 830, they seem to be in a perfect condition. I can´t wait until next weekend to build my PC. Thank you, TheBigTroll for you comments, but i will go with the Chaser mk I like it because it is a full tower case and it looks great in my opinion. What are your opinions on the RAM available to me?

Ram: Corsair Vengance 1600 2x4gb (not Low Profile), Samsung 1600 2x4gb, Patriot Division 4 Viper Extreme 1600 2x4gb

As for the XFX pro 750w it is non Modular, Will this affect seriously my cabling? I want it to be as neet as possible.

I appreciate the opinion of Tomshardware Community.

Thanks,
m
l
May 31, 2012 4:24:55 PM

non-low profile might not fit
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:50:54 PM

Best answer selected by wvan87.
m
l
!