Need help deciding on a power supply and RAM for HTPC.

nzdreamer55

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

After reading a lot of the FAQ and stickies about posting, here is what I have. I am building a HTPC on a modest budget and have some things already. I have the video capture card in another HTPC so this will not be part of the budget. Right now my total for this build if you add in the rebates and remove the capture card I'm at $393.00, so I am still just at the bottom of what I want to spend.

Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next two weeks (July 15 ish)

Budget Range: $400-$600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC with capture of HD TV and Playing Blu-Ray movies

Parts Not Required: Hard drive for TV recording, Keyboard, speakers, OS (will be using Win 7 home premium, 64bit), Monitor (using TV 42 LED Vizio),

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: I have included the parts that I have or are being shipped on my newegg wish list

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am trying to create a HTPC that is modest in price, but has enough core items that will be as future proof as possible. I want to be able to use this for a long time and thus have put more money into more new CPU and motherboard than I think is needed for an HTPC. I don't want to go overboard with the RAM and would like to know peoples opinions on type, speed, and amount. Stability and reliability over speed is what I want.

I also need help choosing a power supply as I would like a modular one, but want to keep it as inexpensive as is reasonable. Don't want something so cheap that it will die soon, but obviously am not building a gaming rig. Again Stability and reliability over power is what I need. A quiet fan would be nice, but not essential as this will be tucked away so some noise will be ok.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17205011

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

-Steve

Select any 1600 or 1866Mhz RAM that runs at 1.5 volts . You will need 2 x2 gig

I'd replace the case with the GD 05 , or GD 04 . Smaller . Takes an m-ATX motherboard
Excellent cooling and you can undervolt the cooling fans to make it absolutely silent

You will need a 400 watt psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703034
is excellent quality and only $50 after rebate

To capture TV signals you need a tv TUNER card . Hauppage make excellent models . A dual tuner will let you watch one channel and record another , and/or timeshift