CPU: i5-750
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D Pro
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600, 8GB
GPU: EVGA GTX-680 SC
OS Drive: Samsung 830 series, 256GB
Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ
PSU: Corsair AX750

For the most part, I have a very good system. There are 2 major gripes though:
1) There is a 15 second boot lag that will not go away no matter what I do. It's not really a big deal, but it just bothers me and it makes my SSD much less impressive when after I turn the power on, the system just sits there doing nothing for 15 seconds.
2) No SATA 6 GB/s

So I already bought:

CPU: i7-3770k
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77V Pro

I haven't installed them yet though. A thought occured to me that since this is likely to be my last upgrade for a very long time, that it might be worthwhile exploring LGA 2011 and a 6 core processor. The other issue is folding PPD (not sure if there are many folders here). A 3930 is surely higher than a 3770, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the money. What do ya'll think I should do? Keep the 3770? Get the 3930? The final, irrational part of me would really just love to have an enthusiast platform, even though I don't need it besides boosting my F@H score.

Thanks!

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
i personally do not think you need a 3930k. 12 threads by intel? that's just crazy unless you have the programs that will support all those cores. the 3770k is even considered too much in most cases. 3930k is just overkill unless you use those kind of programs that actually take good advantage of 6 cores instead of 4.

for the boot problem, try going to your BIOS and make sure your SSD is first in the line for the boot options. if its set to check the USB ports, external HDDs, CD drives and even floppy disk drives for an OS, it takes time for your system to scan everything.

I think this may be an issue with ASUS boards, I've done everything marshall11 has recommended and I still run into an issue where I have a black screen for around 20 seconds :lol: it doesn't bother me as I'm more concerned about my performance INSIDE Windows rather than the boot times :)

But yes, I agree, 3930k is most likely overkill. If you want to get LGA2011 just so you can have an enthusiast platform, go for it, however, it's not really something you would need.

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
i remember having boot lag issues like those described with an asus p7p55d-evo. think my solution was just to turn off everthing i was not using in bios. of course if you're using all those resources then you can't really do much about it. LGA 2011 would just be for bragging rights, even the 3770k would probably be overkill as i'm guessing you're using the gpu folding client? i'd consider one of the ivy/sandy i5 k's, just whichever is the best deal atm, they all overclock like hell & should provide ample performance for your needs :)

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks guys! I do have everything I can disabled in the BIOS, only the SSD is set for booting. If I do keep the P8Z77 V Pro, I REALLY hope this boot issue has been fixed. I'll mostly likely return it if it hasn't. Looking at benchmarks it looks like a 3930 will get beaten on occasion by a 3770 in lightly threaded apps... Highly threaded ones are another story. And FYI, I do run both SMP and GPU clients for folding, so more cores/threads will translate to better folding, but I'm just debating if all the extra energy and money would be worth it.