Sign in with
Your question

First time build, would appreciate any input on your thoughts.

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2012 9:34:38 PM

Hello. As stated this is my first time building a PC from components. My budget is up to £1000, and I have been doing a lot of reading around reviews for components. The parts I am considering are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i5: 3570K (£172.9)
CPU cooler: Cooler master 212 hyper evo (£25.12)
GPU: Gigabyte windforce GTX 670 (£345.00)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V (£137.99)
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz 2x4gb (£41.10)
Hard drive: Seagate Barrachuda 1TB 32MB Cache 7200rpm (£64.68)
Optical drive: Sony DVD RW (£15.56)
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 750W (non-modular) (£83.19)
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r (89.36)

Total: £973.91

I would very much appreciate any input you may have on the parts. A couple of notes on why I am considering these parts:

I am opting for no ssd at the moment, perhaps in the future I will invest in one but for the moment I am not too concerned with owning one. Also, I am happy with a 1TB capacity hard drive at the moment (again I may buy another HDD in the future if needed).

I was originally considering the Corsair Vengence 2x4GB kit, but have heard the large heat-sinks can cause compatibility issues with CPU coolers.

Finally, I am opting for the 3570k and aftermarket cooler for the potential to overclock in the future, although I do not plan to make use of this on day one (I still plan to purchase the cooler as I have read that the stock cooler for the 3570k leaves the CPU running a little hot).

Finally, I am happy to have a 750W PSU even though I know I will use less, to allow for future possibilities. With regards to the PSU I was wondering how much of an effect having a modular PSU will have on cooling/air-flow (I imagine this would be minimal), as I would only really considering investing in a modular power supply if this effect was noticeable (I don't think I'll mind the mess too much and have heard good things about this corsair PSU).

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long message, and if you do notice any compatibility issues between parts or have any other suggestions, I would very much like to hear about it!
May 29, 2012 9:40:26 PM

Everything looks great. On modular vs not, modular is less messy and looks nicer, but with good cable management, airflow is minimally impacted. You could switch to modular if you wanted but you do not have to.
Congratulations, this is easily the best build I have seen in a question. (It is surprising how many parts people can screw up)
May 29, 2012 10:23:00 PM

1: kingston ram is too high voltage. get something like crucial ballistix sport or mushkin blackline. they run at 1.5v. anything above that is bad
2: p8z77 LK has the same features for cheaper. another great board is the gigabyte z77x-ud3h or ud5h
3: get the seagate drive with the 64mb of cache. its a bit faster and better.
4: xfx 750w is the same thing for cheaper. they are both made be the same company (seasonic)
5: the antec 302 is a cheaper alternative for the case.
!