CPU running @ min speed after docking laptop

vijay_htpc

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hi PC experts,

I have a HP Elitebook 8440p notebook computer (Core i7) with a docking station. Recently, I have been seeing a peculiar problem whenever I undock/dock my notebook. Whenever I dock it, I notice that the CPU speed (as read by CPU-Z) slowly throttles down to a minimum value (1.19 GHz) and *stays there* for about 10-20 mins (regardless of the loading), after which it slowly ramps up again to normal CPU levels (around 3.1 GHz or so). During the 20 mins or so, the notebook is very sluggish - almost unusable.

I tried messing around with the Win7 "Power Options" (used "High Performance" setting with min/max CPU both set to 100% and disabled pretty much all the power optimizations that I could find in the power options. This didn't resolve the issue.

I not sure if this the correct forum for this question, but I am wondering if someone has seen similar issues and know of a solution (or a workaround)? I appreciate any help. Please let me know in case I need to provide more info.

Thanks,
Vijay.

clarkepn

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hi Vijay
I'm no expert, just an informed amteur, but I have something similar with my HP 8440p. When I use it in my docking station at home, the CPU maxes out at 100% and the machine is almst unusable. I thought I had a virus, but then discovered that, if I unplugged the laptop from the dock, it works fine. I assume this is an issue with the dock. I have an identical dock at work which works fine.
Best regards
Phil

shnimmag

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

I am having the same problem... Any suggested fix for this issue.. i also have HP 8440p.

When I use it in my docking station at home, the CPU maxes out at 100% and the machine is almost unusable. but then discovered that, if I unplugged the laptop from the dock, it works fine. I assume this is an issue with the dock. I have an identical dock at work which works fine.
I also got the dock from office and tried at home.. but its same.. so looks like not a docking problem... any other suggestions????/

kilocat

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Possible bad power supply on the dock. I have run into the same issue on the 120w 8440p docks, it has always been something wrong with the outlet or dock power supply. Also make sure your useing the correct wattage power supply for the dock. I am not sure what the other wattages are but I know there are multiple size docks for the 8440.