Control panel view resetting

Hi all,

I have WinXP pro and have the settings all set to Windows Classic (looks
like Win2K). Every time I view the control panel it shows it in list form.
I'll choose icon view and close it. When I open it again it shows in list
form. I've done the BadMRU fix and it's set to 2000 and still no luck.
Anyone have any ideas? TIA
--
RJB
1/18/2005 11:45:20 AM

"I believe everyody in the world should have guns. Citizens should have
bazookas and rocket launchers too. I believe that all citizens should have
their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have
the ammunition. Because frankly, I wouldn't trust the rest of the goobers
with anything more dangerous than string."
-Scott Adams

RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have WinXP pro and have the settings all set to Windows Classic (looks
>like Win2K). Every time I view the control panel it shows it in list form.
>I'll choose icon view and close it. When I open it again it shows in list
>form.

Press CTRL while you close the window to force Windows saving the
windows settings.

--
(tm)

kelly

Would be interesting to see if that works in XP. Please keep us posted!

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:17:05 -0600, Kelly wrote:

> Would be interesting to see if that works in XP. Please keep us posted!

It didn't. Still opens back up in list view.
--
RJB
1/20/2005 8:32:54 AM

"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."
-Anon.

kelly

Didn't think it would. However, please know that the Control Panel has its
own set of styles programically set. That said, there are two options to
select from; however, those are for the cosmetic view.

As per using Classic, 80% of all fixes are geared otherwise. As this is not
the norm for XP users. If so, only in the beginning. That said and without
having the complete thread here to re-read, try:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:43:41 -0600, Kelly wrote:

> Didn't think it would. However, please know that the Control Panel has its
> own set of styles programically set. That said, there are two options to
> select from; however, those are for the cosmetic view.
>
> As per using Classic, 80% of all fixes are geared otherwise. As this is not
> the norm for XP users. If so, only in the beginning. That said and without
> having the complete thread here to re-read, try:
>
> Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)
>
> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Yeah, I've applied that as well with the same result. It still doesn't
work. I guess I can live with it unless you have any other ideas?

TIA
--
RJB
1/21/2005 12:07:25 PM

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.
--Dan Quayle

kelly

More info needed, preferably registry keys.

--

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:02:00 -0600, Kelly wrote:

> More info needed, preferably registry keys.

Which keys?
--
RJB
1/24/2005 12:29:23 PM

"Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every
day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Perhaps you shouldn't snip the thread.

http://www.uscricket.com

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:52:52 +1100, David Candy wrote:

> Perhaps you shouldn't snip the thread.

You're right, I just reread it but he top-posted and it looked like what he
wrote was quoted already (was indented with > throughout) so I missed it.
--
RJB
1/24/2005 1:00:52 PM

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:01:54 -0500, RJB wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:52:52 +1100, David Candy wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you shouldn't snip the thread.
>
> You're right, I just reread it but he top-posted and it looked like what he
> wrote was quoted already (was indented with > throughout) so I missed it.

And just re-read it again and it *was* a previous reply.
--
RJB
1/24/2005 1:02:43 PM

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the United States, unless
you count the increasing popularity of the 9 millimeter bullet.
--Dave Barry

Not everyone keeps messages.

http://www.uscricket.com

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Would be interesting to see if that works in XP. Please keep us posted!

Works well here.

--
(tm)

kelly