Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do you clean a lens, INSIDE??

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 16, 2005 4:02:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I bought three digital cameras at a garage sale today.
Turns out that the guy lived on a boat.

The Oly D-300L and the Coolpix 990 are gonna be ok.
But the Nikon Coolpix 4500 spent a little too much
time on the boat. If you look in the lens, the surface is
cloudy and there's white residue on the metal parts.

Is there any hope of cleaning this thing and making it work?
I've got nothing to lose.

I'm afraid to power it up for fear of doing more damage.


Ideas?
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

More about : clean lens inside

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:09:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <42D8B0F8.8060404@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
wrote:

> The Oly D-300L and the Coolpix 990 are gonna be ok.
> But the Nikon Coolpix 4500 spent a little too much
> time on the boat. If you look in the lens, the surface is
> cloudy and there's white residue on the metal parts.
>
> Is there any hope of cleaning this thing and making it work?
> I've got nothing to lose.

Hmmm....

Technique 1: Take the camera to an authorized service center for an
estimate on cleaning. After you get your heart going again -

Technique 2: Clean the exterior as well as possible, using first a soft
brush, then compressed air, then a moist cloth. then fire it up and see
what happens. Assuming you really have nothing to lose...
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:42D8B0F8.8060404@netscape.net...
> But the Nikon Coolpix 4500 spent a little too much
> time on the boat. If you look in the lens, the surface is
> cloudy and there's white residue on the metal parts.
>
> Is there any hope of cleaning this thing and making it work?
> I've got nothing to lose.
> I'm afraid to power it up for fear of doing more damage.
> Ideas?
> Thanks, mike

I have a CP4500, and am pretty sure that someone has posted (on the web) how
to disassemble a CP4500 (or maybe the earlier CP995, 990 series) with a view
to removing the IR filter. I didn't keep a record - suggest you try Google
Groups, or the Nikon forum at www.dpreview.com

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
Related resources
July 17, 2005 11:21:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
> "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
> news:42D8B0F8.8060404@netscape.net...
>
>>But the Nikon Coolpix 4500 spent a little too much
>>time on the boat. If you look in the lens, the surface is
>>cloudy and there's white residue on the metal parts.
>>
>>Is there any hope of cleaning this thing and making it work?
>>I've got nothing to lose.
>>I'm afraid to power it up for fear of doing more damage.
>>Ideas?
>>Thanks, mike
>
>
> I have a CP4500, and am pretty sure that someone has posted (on the web) how
> to disassemble a CP4500 (or maybe the earlier CP995, 990 series) with a view
> to removing the IR filter. I didn't keep a record - suggest you try Google
> Groups, or the Nikon forum at www.dpreview.com
>

Thanks, I found some references to disassembly, but no real info.
I pulled out the trusty screwdriver and took apart the side with the
lens. Looks like a snowstorm inside. I'm optimistic that the
electronics can be saved. But the mechanical stuff may be another story.
My original question remains: What can I use to clean lenses that will
take off the white film of corrosion products without taking off the
optical coatings?
Won't do any good to spend a week fixing the electronics if
the lenses are not recoverable.

I took a Q-tip and alcohol to the inside of the front cover glass.
Cleaned up nicely, I'm just afraid to try that on the lesnses without
asking.

While I have your attention, what would be the symptom showing in the
picture if I did take the lenses down to bare glass?

mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:01:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

mike wrote:
<snip previous replies>
> Thanks, I found some references to disassembly, but no real info.
> I pulled out the trusty screwdriver and took apart the side with the
> lens. Looks like a snowstorm inside. I'm optimistic that the
> electronics can be saved. But the mechanical stuff may be another story.

Unfortunately, the opposite may be true.

> My original question remains: What can I use to clean lenses that will
> take off the white film of corrosion products without taking off the
> optical coatings?
> Won't do any good to spend a week fixing the electronics if
> the lenses are not recoverable.

Electronics are more likely to be corroded beyond recovery if they were
covered in salty water.
I've had several mobile phones that have come in after taking a "short
dip in the harbour" and even a short time in the water can irrepairably
damage fine circuit board tracks.

> I took a Q-tip and alcohol to the inside of the front cover glass.
> Cleaned up nicely, I'm just afraid to try that on the lesnses without
> asking.

The same tchnique will clean the rest of the optical elements as well.
At the end of the cleaning, you might have a nice manual focus lens ;-(

> While I have your attention, what would be the symptom showing in the
> picture if I did take the lenses down to bare glass?

The coatings are put there to increase contrast by reducing internal
reflections beteen the lens elements.
If you scrubbed the coatings off without damaging the actual glass,
then the most likely symptom is that your pictures come out sort of
grey and/or flat looking.

Good luck cleaning your lens.
!