Upgrade or more SLI (9800gtx+)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2012 7:27:55 PM

I am currently wondering what course of action I should take with regards to video cards. I had purchased the 9800GTX+ with the intention of being able to get more as games got better and just using SLI. But, I'm not sure if this is best approach considering the improvements in GPU tech or if it is even feasible now.

What I wanted and still want is a relatively future proof system. And for the most part I believe I have that. Though, I am now reconsidering my approach on video cards.

Would getting a third card be better than getting a completely new card (and replacing the old ones)? Is SLI a smart option? Which approach offers the most bang for the buck? If I do get a new card, should I still plan on using SLI?

My aim here is future proof(ish) and cost-effective. And though I haven't listed price here, I do want to keep costs relatively low (so no $500 cards...unless they have become incredibly cost-effective).

Here is my system:

2x SLI GeForce 9800GTX+ Graphics Cards
ABS Majesty 900W Power Supply
ASUS P6X58D Motherboard
12 GB PC3 12800 RAM
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz

...I'm pretty sure those are all the important specs, let me know if I missed one. And thank you in advance.

More about : upgrade sli 9800gtx

March 29, 2012 7:36:22 PM

Yea, totally read the "How to ask for advice" thread after making this post...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 - 2 Months BUDGET RANGE: USD <$250) with Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Skyrim and other single player games, a few MMOs

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: See above

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: See above

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: None, not even brand

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 (with second lower resolution monitor)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to run Skyrim with everything at Ultra, but this is not a need.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 7:45:28 PM

You still have a cool rig, but you need a more powerful card like EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Use one of your 9800GTX+ as second card in SLI for PhysicX.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 7:46:42 PM

With your resolution, you are not even pushing the 9800GTX+ in SLI. The only reason to upgrade would be to get a DX11 capable card.
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 7:48:24 PM

7850 $250 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

560 Ti $215 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

560 Ti 448 $240 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6950 1gb $250 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Right now, the 7850 is probably the best card to get. That or the 560 Ti 448. But in the end, any of those will perform great. I do not advise triple SLI with your 9800GTX+ as scaling is reduced when you have more cards unless you run super high res (2560x1600 or triple monitor).

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what kind of performance are you getting right now?
March 29, 2012 7:56:32 PM

How do I show my FPS in Skyrim?

Currently, when I set the game to Ultra, I see nothing, but I get sound. Which was really disorienting when I started the game the first time, cause I wasn't sure if the black was part of the game.
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 8:06:05 PM

Oh. Wow. That might be a driver issue. Have you tried disabling SLI for it?

EDIT: To see FPS in game you can use FRAPS, or just download MSI Afterburner and it will graph your FPS so you can see how it fluctuates.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 8:30:18 PM

Yeah, surprisingly that system is quite valid today, tomorrow, and next year. When the nVidia 600 series and Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs drop in price at the end of this year or next year I would re-evaluate making a new purchase then. Heck, I still game on a Q6600, 8GB DDR2, and a 9800GTX+ non-SLI and it runs Skyrim on High and SWTOR without dropping under 30fps. It doesn't destroy all but then again, neither does waiting to purchase something worthwhile.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 8:35:00 PM

personally i would go for 1 more powerful dx11 gpu, i got rid of my dual 4850 setup and replaced with a single 6950. much happier now dont have to worry about drivers, noise, heat, and it is alot more consistent
March 29, 2012 9:53:53 PM

Well, based on the response I am getting here, it sounds like I should wait a year or so before thinking about upgrading my video card. Is there a free program that is available that can diagnose performance of a system? What I really want is to make sure I don't have a messed up setting that is hindering my system from reaching its peak performance. Are there (preferably free) programs that help in this aspect?

However, I will try a few things to see if there is a driver or other issue as to why Skyrim isn't working on Ultra with my video cards. Thank you all for the feedback and I will post here again with any more info.
a c 124 U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 10:44:13 PM

3DMark Vantage
!