I was sold a fake processor how do I test if it is real?

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey guys so I bought an AMD Phenom II 1100T processor of off craigslist for $150 a guy rolled up in a sketchy looking car and sold me the processor. The processor had a seal on it that had not been cut and so I assumed it was brand new. I sold it on Ebay for $240, but they returned it and said it didn't work. I tested out the fan that came with it and it worked. I have a ASRock 970 EXTREME4 motherboard that has the right socket, but currently has an Amd Phenom II X4 960T processor on it and I was wonder how I would go about testing it without messing up my system and the thermal paste. The processor on further inspection apeared to have white residue on two of the pins, I have no idea what this means. If it doesn't work could i use the fan as an aftermarket fan to overclock because its bigger than the one that comes with the 960T?

This link may work to a picture of the white stuff.
attachment

Solution
Hi :)

I run 1100T`s...

Look in the bios to make sure its seeing ALL 6 cores.... if it is it will be fine...

Assuming its a BE (Black Edition = overclockable) ...its a LOT MORE POWERFUL than the 960T ...so keep it...

All the best Brett :)

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
To me, that looks like the pin has been bent next to the white mark - which may mean that someone has tried to force the processor and bent the pin then unbent it, or even worse, snapped the pin off and glued it back on...

Personally I would have sold it as no warranty, but since you have it back, i guess you're stuck with it.

In direct answer to your question, the only way to test it, is to stick it in a working motherboard and buy some new thermal paste (the 1100T should already have paste on the fan) but $10 is a small price to pay to try and get your money back.

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I bought the processor to put it on my computer, but I decided I didn't want it so I sold it. I don't see how I "deserve" losing $150, but whatever. I also want to know if you guys think that I can use the bigger fan in place of buying an aftermarket fan for overclocking.

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
So I just tested out the "broken processor and it runs fine". Should I run any tests to see if its really OK or something? Also if it turns out to be okay which processor should I keep the 960T which is a beast at unlocking or the 1100T which I don't know much about.

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thank You Brett, I have one minor concern though it says in cpu-z that the core speed it 800 mhz.
Here is a screen shot...
http://imgur.com/d6vzz
does everything look OK?

I also had problems putting in the bigger fan I couldn't put down the latch because it was too tight so i just left it.

Thank you again for answering my question!

Look in the bios for speeds and overclocking.... but you will probably NEED the bigger fan or an aftermarket better one...

Also mine (on ASUS boards) run Turbo unlocker, which adds another 400hz... see if Asrock has an equivalent for your mobo...

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Mine has the turbo also, but will it overclock to the same extent with turbo on?

Uncoordinated

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks I got too scared so I reattached my 960t and I'm going to buy some thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler. Do you have any idea why the temperature readings were reading 0 on the processor?

Umm no...lol... in bios you mean ?

TRENDING THREADS