Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I was sold a fake processor how do I test if it is real?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 23, 2012 4:16:36 AM

Hey guys so I bought an AMD Phenom II 1100T processor of off craigslist for $150 a guy rolled up in a sketchy looking car and sold me the processor. The processor had a seal on it that had not been cut and so I assumed it was brand new. I sold it on Ebay for $240, but they returned it and said it didn't work. I tested out the fan that came with it and it worked. I have a ASRock 970 EXTREME4 motherboard that has the right socket, but currently has an Amd Phenom II X4 960T processor on it and I was wonder how I would go about testing it without messing up my system and the thermal paste. The processor on further inspection apeared to have white residue on two of the pins, I have no idea what this means. If it doesn't work could i use the fan as an aftermarket fan to overclock because its bigger than the one that comes with the 960T?

This link may work to a picture of the white stuff.

a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:25:50 AM

nope the link doesnt work
m
0
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 8:47:34 AM

To me, that looks like the pin has been bent next to the white mark - which may mean that someone has tried to force the processor and bent the pin then unbent it, or even worse, snapped the pin off and glued it back on...

Personally I would have sold it as no warranty, but since you have it back, i guess you're stuck with it.

In direct answer to your question, the only way to test it, is to stick it in a working motherboard and buy some new thermal paste (the 1100T should already have paste on the fan) but $10 is a small price to pay to try and get your money back.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 23, 2012 8:54:53 AM

Those 2 pins are bent!

IMO you kinda deserved it...you shouldn't buy it off of craigslist and turn around and resell. (You get what you get!)
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 1:56:59 PM

amuffin said:
Those 2 pins are bent!

IMO you kinda deserved it...you shouldn't buy it off of craigslist and turn around and resell. (You get what you get!)


I bought the processor to put it on my computer, but I decided I didn't want it so I sold it. I don't see how I "deserve" losing $150, but whatever. I also want to know if you guys think that I can use the bigger fan in place of buying an aftermarket fan for overclocking.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 2:50:36 PM

So I just tested out the "broken processor and it runs fine". Should I run any tests to see if its really OK or something? Also if it turns out to be okay which processor should I keep the 960T which is a beast at unlocking or the 1100T which I don't know much about.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 3:06:44 PM

Hi :) 

I run 1100T`s...

Look in the bios to make sure its seeing ALL 6 cores.... if it is it will be fine...

Assuming its a BE (Black Edition = overclockable) ...its a LOT MORE POWERFUL than the 960T ...so keep it...

All the best Brett :) 
Share
September 23, 2012 3:18:29 PM

Best answer selected by uncoordinated.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:24:23 PM

Thank You Brett, I have one minor concern though it says in cpu-z that the core speed it 800 mhz.
Here is a screen shot...
http://imgur.com/d6vzz
does everything look OK?

I also had problems putting in the bigger fan I couldn't put down the latch because it was too tight so i just left it.

Thank you again for answering my question!
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:27:42 PM

Also the sensor on the cpu doesn't seem to be working? Could it be because I am using the turbo thing?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 3:30:34 PM

Uncoordinated said:
Thank You Brett, I have one minor concern though it says in cpu-z that the core speed it 800 mhz.
Here is a screen shot...
http://imgur.com/d6vzz
does everything look OK?

I also had problems putting in the bigger fan I couldn't put down the latch because it was too tight so i just left it.

Thank you again for answering my question!



Hi :) 

Look in the bios for speeds and overclocking.... but you will probably NEED the bigger fan or an aftermarket better one...

Also mine (on ASUS boards) run Turbo unlocker, which adds another 400hz... see if Asrock has an equivalent for your mobo...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 3:31:03 PM

Uncoordinated said:
Also the sensor on the cpu doesn't seem to be working? Could it be because I am using the turbo thing?


Hi :) 

If you mean the temp sensor...again you SHOULD see the temps in the bios...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 3:37:54 PM

I dont see 800 mhz I see 2511.1 mhz. did you make sure the motherboard bios was updated for the x6.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:49:38 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Look in the bios for speeds and overclocking.... but you will probably NEED the bigger fan or an aftermarket better one...

Also mine (on ASUS boards) run Turbo unlocker, which adds another 400hz... see if Asrock has an equivalent for your mobo...

All the best Brett :) 


Mine has the turbo also, but will it overclock to the same extent with turbo on?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 3:53:56 PM

Uncoordinated said:
Mine has the turbo also, but will it overclock to the same extent with turbo on?


Hi :) 

It depends on the cpu.....one of mine hates TU....one loves it...

Just try overclocking and see...but with a BIGGER heatsin/fan...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:54:43 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

If you mean the temp sensor...again you SHOULD see the temps in the bios...

All the best Brett :) 


The temperatures read 0 Celsius for all the cores
here is a picture
http://imgur.com/T3dBI

also the cpuz now says this

http://imgur.com/joe9m

Any thoughts?
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:56:19 PM

Crap the tempature of cpu on motherboarth says 80 celecius to hot shutting down computer...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:03:10 PM

Hi :) 

You have GOT to go by Bios readings on temp etc...

And 1100T fans are tight to connect ...you NEED that bigger fan on...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 4:14:05 PM

I went into bios and saw the CPU temp rise steadily to 60 then I shut it off.
What should I do?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:22:46 PM

Uncoordinated said:
I went into bios and saw the CPU temp rise steadily to 60 then I shut it off.
What should I do?



Hi :) 

This >>>> And 1100T fans are tight to connect ...you NEED that bigger fan on... with fresh cpu cement...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:30:46 PM

Hi :) 

Temps.. to give you an idea... mine is idling at 46 degrees (cpu) and 32 (motherboard)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 4:39:54 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Temps.. to give you an idea... mine is idling at 46 degrees (cpu) and 32 (motherboard)

All the best Brett :) 

Thanks I got too scared so I reattached my 960t and I'm going to buy some thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler. Do you have any idea why the temperature readings were reading 0 on the processor?
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 4:44:23 PM

Also if the sensors were messed up on the processor should that mean it wouldn't shut down automatically if it got too hot?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:51:34 PM

Uncoordinated said:
Thanks I got too scared so I reattached my 960t and I'm going to buy some thermal paste and an aftermarket cooler. Do you have any idea why the temperature readings were reading 0 on the processor?



Hi :) 

Umm no...lol... in bios you mean ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 4:52:06 PM

Uncoordinated said:
Also if the sensors were messed up on the processor should that mean it wouldn't shut down automatically if it got too hot?



Hi :) 

Yes unfortunately.... but again i mean temps IN THE BIOS...NOT in windows programs like cpuz...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 7:56:44 PM

i think you will find that in your bios you have a core unlock feature....as you already have 6 cores you do not need this switched on, as when you use it to gain a core as i have as part of the process to get the disabled core back online you loose the ability to monitor temps, dont know why but it is the case, so bios core unlock/unleash et.c all off and your temp readings should come back
hope that helps if it did hit the thanx button ;) 
popeye
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 8:48:27 PM

Thanks, that might be it, but I'm going to wait to get another cooler and more thermal paste before I test it out again I'll keep you guys updated.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 2:15:54 AM

UPDATE:
So I got the Cooler Master 212 plus and got some arctic silver thermal paste and I put in the processor and added a fan on the other side of the 212 heat-sink and now it runs at 29 degrees overclocking at 3.9!!!! I had no idea it was even possible none the less overclocking. Also I am getting temperature readings from all of the cores because I turned off the UCC core unlocker. When I cleaned the thermal paste off of the processor I noticed that It had an indent on the process and the stock heat sink so I assume something got stuck in between. It wasn't to big though. I also noticed that on the pin side of the processor the edges of the processor seemed to be melted? This was probably the cause of the 80 degree heat originally. I don't know how much of a deal that is, but It runs fine overclocking at 3.9. Although when I tried to turn the turbo on windows would try and repair and end in not booting, not a huge problem, but kind of annoying.

Thanks Guys!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 3:46:06 AM

good to hear
m
0
l
Related resources
!