My boss is currently running a MS-DOS program on Windows 98. Would this
program be useable in a XP environment? If so, documentation on managing
this task will be very helpful.
--
benine

There is no MS-DOS in Windows XP.

How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292533&Product=winxp

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314495&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

In news:308C19E3-7F3B-4BDE-B89D-8B74A93B9C31@microsoft.com,
benine9 <benine9@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My boss is currently running a MS-DOS program on Windows 98.
> Would
> this program be useable in a XP environment? If so,
> documentation on
> managing this task will be very helpful.

Nobody can answer this question unless you tell us what program
it is. Many MS-DOS programs work under Windows XP without doing
anything special. Others will work in compatibility mode. Still
others won't work at all.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"benine9" <benine9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My boss is currently running a MS-DOS program on Windows 98. Would this
> program be useable in a XP environment? If so, documentation on managing
> this task will be very helpful.

Some will, some won't. Generally, those that want to directly access
hardware will not. Your best bet is to try it and see on a similar machine
running XP and then remove it once testing isdone.

Or, contact the manufacturer (if possible), to see if it will run or if
updates are available.

If this application is necessary, it should be considered a potential
blocking issue for an XP upgrade.

HTH
-pk