Sign in with
Your question

Getting a graphics card, what PSU should I get?

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2012 6:18:24 AM

I just purchased a ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon card and was wondering if the power supply I'm looking to get would be good?
My current setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge
Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro
RAM: 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR3
128 GB Samsung 830 SSD and 2.0 TB WD Caviar Green HDD
2 built in 120 mm fans in CoolerMaster HAF 912 case
Current PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380 W
No other peripherals

I'm looking at the antec earthwatts 650 W at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=V_6CvgVD... for $45 after rebate until Mon. and was wondering if I should get it. I'm not overclocking anything in the immediate future but would be open to the idea later on. I'm new to this building stuff so any advice would really help. Thanks.

One thing that I was confused with though was using the power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine with all the components from my build, I was given a recommended psu wattage of 313 W. But from what I understand, that wouldn't be enough power, right? I wouldn't mind keeping my current power supply if that's possible, save some money :D 

More about : graphics card psu

September 23, 2012 7:24:01 AM

If you're not overclocking, the 380 will run your system just fine. If you are worried and want to upgrade anyway, the EW 650 is a good deal.
Related resources
September 23, 2012 6:26:32 PM

I saw that calculator too but I had read around that the calculator I used was the most reliable. I don't understand why these calculations aren't really an exact science. I think I may just pick up the 650 W PSU because yes, I am worried lol. Also, I just realized the 380 W PSU has only one 6 pin PCIe connector when this card requires two. So I should have room for overclocking if I wind up with the 650? I will obviously have to up my game on cooling, so that would require some more power too.
September 23, 2012 11:17:58 PM

Ok well I'm convinced. I'm gonna order that power supply then. Thanks for the help.
!