Xbox 360: 720p & 1080i

This will look great, obviously. The one question I have is, will all
1080i capable TVs upscale 720p games to 1080i? I've read that all games
will be compatible with both 720p and 1080i (is this true?), but when a
720p game (Hulk, for instance) is run on my TV (a 1080), it doesn't
auto down convert to 480p. In other words, I have to set the 1080i and
720p settings in the dashboard to off in order for it to run in 480p.
Will this, then, be a capability of the Xbox 360 to upscale and down
convert to the compatible resolution mode?

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This will look great, obviously. The one question I have is, will all
> 1080i capable TVs upscale 720p games to 1080i? I've read that all games
> will be compatible with both 720p and 1080i (is this true?), but when a
> 720p game (Hulk, for instance) is run on my TV (a 1080), it doesn't
> auto down convert to 480p. In other words, I have to set the 1080i and
> 720p settings in the dashboard to off in order for it to run in 480p.
> Will this, then, be a capability of the Xbox 360 to upscale and down
> convert to the compatible resolution mode?

you're TV upconverts from 720p to 1080i...xbox has nothing to do with it.
It's going to output either 720p or 1080i, and your tv will upconvert if
needed. And you want it to do that (why would you want to turn it off and
run a 720p game at 480p? upconverted 720p-->1080i is much better than 480p)

So for example, my tv does something like 540 and 1080i. All 1080i games
will be displayed natively. All 720p games will be upconverted to 1080i.

bbodin wrote:
> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>This will look great, obviously. The one question I have is, will all
>>1080i capable TVs upscale 720p games to 1080i? I've read that all games
>>will be compatible with both 720p and 1080i (is this true?), but when a
>>720p game (Hulk, for instance) is run on my TV (a 1080), it doesn't
>>auto down convert to 480p. In other words, I have to set the 1080i and
>>720p settings in the dashboard to off in order for it to run in 480p.
>>Will this, then, be a capability of the Xbox 360 to upscale and down
>>convert to the compatible resolution mode?
>

> you're TV upconverts from 720p to 1080i...xbox has nothing to do with it.
> It's going to output either 720p or 1080i, and your tv will upconvert if
> needed. And you want it to do that (why would you want to turn it off and
> run a 720p game at 480p? upconverted 720p-->1080i is much better than 480p)
>
> So for example, my tv does something like 540 and 1080i. All 1080i games
> will be displayed natively. All 720p games will be upconverted to 1080i.

Not all TV's upconvert or accept a 720p signal. If the game is only in
720p, you're still SOL on your TV. I'm glad I did not but a Mitsu RP CRT
HDTV. :)

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some rp crt's do convert 720P to 1080I. My Sony kp46wt520 does. Also, the
720P to 1080I conversion is a down, and not upconversion, since 1080I is
technically the same as 540P.
"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This will look great, obviously. The one question I have is, will all
> 1080i capable TVs upscale 720p games to 1080i? I've read that all games
> will be compatible with both 720p and 1080i (is this true?), but when a
> 720p game (Hulk, for instance) is run on my TV (a 1080), it doesn't
> auto down convert to 480p. In other words, I have to set the 1080i and
> 720p settings in the dashboard to off in order for it to run in 480p.
> Will this, then, be a capability of the Xbox 360 to upscale and down
> convert to the compatible resolution mode?

Not all HDTV's will accept a 720p signal. You need to see what your set
will accept or if it can upconvert the signals. Only set your Xbox
dashboard to what your HDTV can take otherwise you might end up with a blank
screen on a 720p game. You can find out more at http://www.hdtvarcade.com

aether wrote:
> This will look great, obviously. The one question I have is, will all
> 1080i capable TVs upscale 720p games to 1080i? I've read that all games
> will be compatible with both 720p and 1080i (is this true?), but when a
> 720p game (Hulk, for instance) is run on my TV (a 1080), it doesn't
> auto down convert to 480p. In other words, I have to set the 1080i and
> 720p settings in the dashboard to off in order for it to run in 480p.
> Will this, then, be a capability of the Xbox 360 to upscale and down
> convert to the compatible resolution mode?

All games will be 720p - but 1080i is dependant on the developer.

--
Byron Hinson
My Photography

Dan - So, what you're saying is, if possible, get a 720p capable TV?