Dust on CCD - Canon A95

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 16, 2005 4:05:05 PM

All images take with the camera were fine, until suddenly they started
showing a darker spot in the top middle of every picture. I bought some
Kodak lens cleaning solution and some lens cleaning paper, and I
thoroughly cleaned it. I can't see any spots on the lens at all, but
the pictures still have the spot. Does the spot (top center) look like
CCD dust to anyone? I've heard of this happening on SLRs, but I didn't
realize it could happen on the point and shoots. Has anyone had luck
with Canon covering this kind of problem under warranty, or is there
some other fix anyone knows about that I can just do myself? Thanks.

http://jake.dnsalias.net/vla_dustspot.jpg

More about : dust ccd canon a95

July 16, 2005 4:05:06 PM

Jake wrote:
> All images take with the camera were fine, until suddenly they started
> showing a darker spot in the top middle of every picture. I bought some
> Kodak lens cleaning solution and some lens cleaning paper, and I
> thoroughly cleaned it. I can't see any spots on the lens at all, but
> the pictures still have the spot. Does the spot (top center) look like
> CCD dust to anyone? I've heard of this happening on SLRs, but I didn't
> realize it could happen on the point and shoots. Has anyone had luck
> with Canon covering this kind of problem under warranty, or is there
> some other fix anyone knows about that I can just do myself? Thanks.
>
> http://jake.dnsalias.net/vla_dustspot.jpg

That's actually a UFO masquerading as a dust bunny. It follows you around.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jake wrote:
> All images take with the camera were fine, until suddenly they started
> showing a darker spot in the top middle of every picture. I bought some
> Kodak lens cleaning solution and some lens cleaning paper, and I
> thoroughly cleaned it. I can't see any spots on the lens at all, but
> the pictures still have the spot. Does the spot (top center) look like
> CCD dust to anyone? I've heard of this happening on SLRs, but I didn't
> realize it could happen on the point and shoots. Has anyone had luck
> with Canon covering this kind of problem under warranty, or is there
> some other fix anyone knows about that I can just do myself? Thanks.
>
> http://jake.dnsalias.net/vla_dustspot.jpg

If it's under warranty don't hesitate to the bug the hell out of them
till they get it fixed. If they say "no" say "yes you will"!, if they
still say "no" say "yes you will, or else!", and keep at it!
July 16, 2005 10:06:01 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:05:05 GMT, Jake <EKAJL86007@aol.com> wrote:

>All images take with the camera were fine, until suddenly they started
>showing a darker spot in the top middle of every picture. I bought some
>Kodak lens cleaning solution and some lens cleaning paper, and I
>thoroughly cleaned it. I can't see any spots on the lens at all, but
>the pictures still have the spot. Does the spot (top center) look like
>CCD dust to anyone? I've heard of this happening on SLRs, but I didn't
>realize it could happen on the point and shoots. Has anyone had luck
>with Canon covering this kind of problem under warranty, or is there
>some other fix anyone knows about that I can just do myself? Thanks.
>
>http://jake.dnsalias.net/vla_dustspot.jpg

Jake,
the editor you used striped the EXIF/mata data from the image
so it's difficult to give much more than a guess as the what the
problem night be.

If it's something on the CCD sensor which is possible even
with a P&S but is much more common with DSLRs because they have
interchangeable lenses & so the CCD is briefly exposed to the
environment while changing lenses. That said, P&S cameras are not
hermetically sealed, so depending on the conditions (windy open areas
with fine dust blowing about), it's possible that something got inside
& on the CCD. With that said, I would 1st do many tests to rule out
something on the front lens element.

<1> Careful inspection of the front lens element, a large magnifying
glass or jeweler's loupe & very good lighting would help.

<2> Does the dark spot change size or position when the lens is zoomed
in or out?

<3> Does the dark spot change size or position when a picture is taken
@ f2.8 versus f8.0?

If it's on the CCD sensor it will hold relative position
within the picture frame. Also it's likely to be more noticeable @
higher f stops (f8.0).

If it's on the lens someplace it's likely to change size &
darkness & possibly even position as the lens is zoomed between it's
extremes.

Suggestions which may be a bit to late would be to use a
lens/filter adapter to mount a 37mm or 52mm protective filter over the
lens. This helps protect the front lens element as well as possible
problems with the lens from getting bumped because it fully envelopes
the lens without touching it. Here are a cope of links to places that
carry such adapters for different cameras including your A95:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_index/index001-cam...

http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm

Their are others that carry adapters too, I have & use both
the 37mm & 52mm adapters on my A95. The 37mm is more compact which
means it has less effect on blocking light from the built-in flash or
optical view finder but the 52mm has the advantage of being the same
filter size used by some of my DSLR lenses, thus I can use those
filters on my A95 as well.

Incidentally, if anybody has children that use a P&S camera
this is cheap & effective lens protection insurance, so is always
using the wrist strap. I'm an adult, & the writs strap has saved a
P&S camera of mine from being dropped twice. Accidents happen
especially in crowded areas & a simple bump to 1's arm might be all it
takes to send a camera on it's way to the floor/ground.

Hope this helps in some way to either you or others.

Respectfully, DHB

..
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:37:12 AM

"Jake" <EKAJL86007@aol.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> Does the spot (top center) look like CCD dust to anyone?

Yes.

Bart
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:15:59 AM

In article <42d97e08$0$50822$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Bart van der Wolf
says...

> > Does the spot (top center) look like CCD dust to anyone?
>
> Yes.

Must be a huge piece of dust then, if it covers such a big chunk of the
image. I've never seen anything like that.
--

Alfred Molon
July 17, 2005 7:25:20 AM

"Alfred Molon" <alfredREMOVE_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <42d97e08$0$50822$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Bart van der
> Wolf
> says...
>
>> > Does the spot (top center) look like CCD dust to anyone?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Must be a huge piece of dust then, if it covers such a big
> chunk of the image. I've never seen anything like that.

Or a smallish sensor.

Bart
July 19, 2005 6:17:40 AM

Here are links to more of the pictures, this time I made sure that the
EXIF information was preserved in the resizing process.

http://jake.dnsalias.net/a95/

!