Will I be okay?

Ficttion

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Below I will list my computer specs, my question here today is if I will be okay with a 450w PSU for a day. What I mean by this is that I have my system good to go and I am actually on it right now but I am replacing the graphics card and PSU. The graphics card will be here tomorrow while the PSU will come the day after. My graphics card is the Radeon HD 6870 and it recommends at least 550 watts but I am wondering if I will be okay for just one day until my PSU gets replaced? So can I put in my graphics card right away tomorrow when I get it and just use it for a day until my PSU comes tomorrow?

Computer Specs:

Monitor: Acer S211HL bd 22" Class LED Monitor - 12M:1 Contrast Ratio, 5MS response time, 1080P, 1920x1080

Tower Case: Diablo Tek Elite ATX Mid Tower (Comes with a 450W PSU) This is what I will be using

Power Supply: For now a Diablotek 450w, will I be okay just for a day?

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1045T - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.70GHz, Socket AM3, 95W, Fan

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6870

MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

RAM: ADATA 4GB x2 DDR3 (8GB Total)

Hardrive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Disc Drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer

Yes, video card manufacturers always recommend way above the actual wattage you need in order to cover their own asses. Glad to see you're getting rid of that time bomb Diablotek PSU , though. What's the new kind you're going to be putting in?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Shouldn't really be an issue, it will just put a lot of strain on the PSU if anything.

Personally I would never use a PSU without an 80PLUS rating, and 550w would be a good replacement for that 450w. Recommended brands include: XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec, OCZ - and as I said, always look for 80PLUS Bronze+.

Make sure not to overclock anything just yet either until your PSU is up for the job :)