Sign in with
Your question

Just bought a new power supply. Possibly faulty?

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2012 12:09:33 PM

I just got my Corsair HX Series HX750 PSU and hooked it up. As soon as I turned my PC on I was getting an inconsistent beeping/whine from my PSU. I also noticed that my front USB ports weren't working. So I made sure all cables were plugged in properly, turned my PC back on, and the PSU was silent and my USB ports were working.

This morning I heard the beeping coming from my PSU again and noticed my USB ports again weren't working. Made sure everything was plugged in properly, turned it on, the sound was gone and the USB was working.

Could something be wrong with my PSU or one of the cables? Or was it just because something got loose and my PSU was beeping to warn me?

One more bit of info. The beeping starts when I get to my Windows login at start up and doesn't go away. When it initially loads up until the login it's fine. Don't know if that is of any significance.
September 24, 2012 3:09:31 AM

I'll check the plugs again tomorrow. I'm too tired right now.

I have noticed something kind of alarming though. Or at least I think it is...The PSU fan isn't on. This can't be right can it?
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 3:10:08 AM

The PSU fan doesn't turn on unless you put the PSU under load. Neat feature, keeps things quiet, but can mess with the first time user.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 6:27:32 PM

Well once again, I woke up, turned my PC on, and the noise was back. I forgot to check if the USB ports were working but I made sure everything was in, and unplugged and re plugged the USB cable and no beeping. It started for like half a second when my PC got to the login screen but I haven't heard it since.

Edit: Turned my PC off and on just to see what would happen. The beeping started and once again the USB ports weren't working when I reached the login. So I opened my Case and unplugged/re plugged the USB cable, and the beeping stopped. I unplugged it and the beeping returned. Plugged it back in and it stopped.

Edit 2: It seems that turning my PC on causes the beeping and the USB ports to not work. But unplugging the USB cable on the Mobo and plugging it back in fixes it. I just don't see how turning my PC on causes this to happen every time. Never had this occur with my CoolerMaster PSU.

m
l
September 25, 2012 7:21:54 PM

Should I return my PSU or could it be my Mobo? Restarting my PC always causes the beeping and USB ports to not work. Unplugging and plugging the USB cable back in fixes it. But as soon as I restart my PC it happens again...
m
l
!