Need help, I'm desperate.

chinesepanda

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I honestly cannot figure out what is wrong with my system. Here's how it all started,

I'm playing TERA when suddenly my computer just turns off and I tried restarting but got 6 post beeps.

I googled what that meant and it said that it was the keyboard controller. I was instructed to try different keyboards but it didn't work. Thus, I concluded that my motherboard had fried.

I purchased a motherboard from eBay and when it arrived, the system would simply not show video at all. It would start and stay on forever with no video loading. So I assumed the motherboard was DoA and returned it.

I bought ANOTHER motherboard from eBay and THIS time, my computer won't stay on for more than a few seconds before turning off. The video works because I can get to the post screen but it never stays on for more than a few seconds. Occasionally, it turns itself on and off but ultimately turns off.

The POST and BIOS are loading but they are shut off each and every single time by the computer.

My google search indicates that it would be a faulty power supply but my question is, my power supply never failed on all of those other tests and it was the motherboard each time....is it really my power supply this time? I do have an extra power supply on hand that I could try but it would be an extreme hassle to remove and replace the Alienware PSU.

I use an Alienware J560M motherboard along with an Alienware 1100 Watt PSU.

Yes, they're Alienware parts but the only reason I'm using them is because I bought the barebones case and AlienFX doesn't work if it is not an Alienware motherboard

Dogsnake

Distinguished
You can rarely swap MB and not have problems unless the are the same model. Even then a different bios can mess things up. Please give a bit more info. like the version of win. you are using. It does sound like a PSU issue however. What memory are you using? Have you tried just 1 stick at a time in the slots. You just need to start isolating components. Disconnect the cd drive and anything else but the mouse and keyboard. Use 1 stick of memory and see if it turns on. Can you boot to the bios still? If you can set everything to default if you had it over clocked. Check the bios for any power saving settings and make sure they are off. I do not know what your bios looks like? If you have the other PSU, you don't have to put it in the case. You can set is next to the system and wire through the open side. If you do this, just connect power to the MB and HDD. GL

chinesepanda

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I'm starting to figure that out...I have so many problems >.<

Motherboard: Alienware J560M
CPU: i7-990x
RAM: G.Skill 12GB (8-8-8-24, 1.65V)
GPU: GTX 460 x2

Previously, one of my motherboards had a dead DIMM slot and I had already tried every stick of RAM individually then...none were broken. I figured out it was a dead DIMM slot from trying all the RAM in different slots.

I just tried disconnecting the CD-Drive. Same thing. Powers off only a few seconds after turning on.

I can boot to BIOS but whenever I try to change anything, I have a roughly 10-15 second time limit before it shuts off. I'm going to try booting to BIOS and setting everything back to default though.

I think I'll try that PSU on the side thing too