newbie game rec's?

Just bought the first x-box for the husband and family and looking for
good game suggestions, esp. for a 2-player game. Can anyone suggest
some of their favorites?

Thanks

sp
10 answers Last reply
More about newbie game

    <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Just bought the first x-box for the husband and family and looking for
    > good game suggestions, esp. for a 2-player game. Can anyone suggest
    > some of their favorites?

    What sort of games do you enjoy?

    Followup: we enjoy a wide range of games - action, rpg, driving (though
    this'll have to wait until we buy a racing wheel to go with the x-box,
    I assume...) I do get a bit bored with first-person shooters, but
    wouldn't rule one out if it was creative enough, and not mere blood-gut
    explosions...

    Thanks for the Q and any suggestions!

    sp

    There are a lot of Gauntlet style 2-player "rpgs". Ok, they aren't
    really RPGs, but they have equipment and leveling up, etc.

    Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Hunter: The Reckoning
    Hunterl: The Reckoning - Redeemer
    X-Men Legends
    Gauntlet Legends

    The style of play can grow tiresome over time, but it's hard to beat
    for 2 player fun.

    - Jordan

    > Followup: we enjoy a wide range of games - action, rpg, driving (though
    > this'll have to wait until we buy a racing wheel to go with the x-box,
    > I assume...) I do get a bit bored with first-person shooters, but
    > wouldn't rule one out if it was creative enough, and not mere blood-gut
    > explosions...
    >
    > Thanks for the Q and any suggestions!
    >
    > sp

    Voodoo Vince (platform game - VERY fun - might be hard to find, but if you
    can, it will still only be 10 or 15 dollars)

    Psychonauts (action/platform game - SUPER fun and funny and spooky in
    places - worth twice what ever you will find it for)

    Otogi (1 and 2) (action/adventure games - Super fun - very hard - just cool
    every where)

    Although not great games, both Buffy the Vampire Slayer games are fun.

    > There are a lot of Gauntlet style 2-player "rpgs". Ok, they aren't
    > really RPGs, but they have equipment and leveling up, etc.
    >
    > Baldur's Gate
    > Baldur's Gate 2
    > Hunter: The Reckoning
    > Hunterl: The Reckoning - Redeemer
    > X-Men Legends
    > Gauntlet Legends
    >
    > The style of play can grow tiresome over time, but it's hard to beat
    > for 2 player fun.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Just to clairify:

    Gauntlet Legends was the one for the PS1 and N64, Gauntlet Dark Legacy is
    the one on the PS2, Gamecube and XBOX. Nit-Pick I know, but ...

    You are correct, my bad. There's a new one coming too... should be
    cool.

    - Jordan

    In article <1125792182.328702.208990@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, ro222000@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Followup: we enjoy a wide range of games - action, rpg, driving (though
    >this'll have to wait until we buy a racing wheel to go with the x-box,
    >I assume...) I do get a bit bored with first-person shooters, but
    >wouldn't rule one out if it was creative enough, and not mere blood-gut
    >explosions...

    I assume you know the usual suspects? Also gamerankings.com where
    you can see the favorites for each platform and each genre? Just in
    case not, I'll list some of the obviouse ones, of which I have
    most...

    Halo - no brainer. I'm not the world's biggest fan of FPS's myself,
    but this one is worth it just for the mood it sets (through music,
    visuals, sound fx).

    Halo 2 - actually haven't played this one. Wait till you play the
    original

    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ("KOTOR") - if you are into
    SW, or RPG's, this is equally a no brainer. A terrific game!

    SW: KOTOR 2 - more of the same, but it is a big letdown at the end.
    Don't get it till you play the original.

    Project Gotham Racing 2 - a pretty, fun, and passably realistic
    (part arcade/part sim) racing game. Get it, don't wait till you
    have a wheel!

    Forza - more sim than PGR2. Not as fun for some. But I'm a simmer,
    so I far prefer it to PGR2 (which I still very much like). But
    YMMV.

    Burnout 3 is supposed to be a great action racing game. And
    available for $20 now. But not my kind of thing, so I don't have
    it.

    Soul Caliber 2 - This is supposed to be about the best pure fighter
    on the XBOX. I just picked it up for $10. But I dunno, guess it
    just isn't my thing.

    Hope these meager offerings help ...

    > Followup: we enjoy a wide range of games - action, rpg, driving (though
    > this'll have to wait until we buy a racing wheel to go with the x-box,
    > I assume...) I do get a bit bored with first-person shooters, but
    > wouldn't rule one out if it was creative enough, and not mere blood-gut
    > explosions...
    >
    > Thanks for the Q and any suggestions!

    Fahrenheit is out next week. If you are in North America its called Indigo
    Prophecy. Some tout it to be game of the year. Its an adventure game 3rd
    person. The game starts off with you killing somebody. You have to quickly
    decide whether to run away, clean yourself up or do a few other things
    before the police arrive. You play the person on the run from the police.
    You also play the police trying to hunt yourself down.
    Its described by many as an interactive novel and plays a bit like a movie
    with shades of the series 24. Ultimately your decisions in the game change
    the way the game plays with different paths to take.

    RPGs to try are Jade Empire, Star wars Knights of the old republic 1 and 2
    (also known as kotor).

    Driving - Burnout 3, Burnout Revenge is out next week.

    Driving/action - Had to include the Grand theft auto games - GTA3, Vice
    city, San andreas.

    Something a little lighter for the kids? Well hows about Super Monkey Ball
    deluxe? single or multiplayer game. You are monkeys in balls. You have to
    guide round courses within a time limit. Also loads of minigames like
    bowling and football. Fun for all ages.

    Thats just a few of my recommendations to keep you going for a while.

    Many thanks to all! This is a big help. - sp

    <ro222000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Just bought the first x-box for the husband and family and looking for
    > good game suggestions, esp. for a 2-player game. Can anyone suggest
    > some of their favorites?

    2-player (or more, can also play alone if you want):

    Dungeons and Dragons: Heros
    Halo/Halo2
    Dai Senryaku (military turn-based strategy game)
    Fuzion Frenzy
    ChessMaster (awesome tutorial - an entire school basically)

    1-player/on-line:

    Crimson Skies
    MechAssault
    CounterStrike

Console Gaming Games Video Favorites Xbox Video Games