Mapped drives not accessable over night.

travishendrix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hello,
I have a network setup on a domain running windows server 2008. I have done lots of support and work with home users but limited when it comes to businesses and servers. The problem I have is that there are 10 computers in the office all running windows xp and all with mapped drives. When the computers are left on over night in the morning the mapped drives are not accessible and the server cannot be pinged either by name or ip address. I may be looking in the wrong area but I wondered if the dns was not working right or expiring or something. The only thing I can find is that when I go to the DNS on the server it does not have any of the computers listed. any idea what I should look for or how to fix this issue?

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Almost sounds like a power management setting... On the server I would go into Device Manager> Right click the NIC (which is in use)>"Properties">power management tab. Uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I would also check to see if the server is going into hibernate/standby over night.

If both of those options no help, I would check for firmware updates and driver updates for the hardware....

Still no luck, grab a cup of coffee, get comfortable, and dive into the eventlogs...

**A normal person might think its wise to set power management settings on a server, or accidentally turned them on... GO GREEN is always a good idea, but not on a server!

travishendrix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I made the change on the NIC card.
I checked power settings and the only real option it has is turn off monitor. the advanced options have a "turn off hard disk after" option that is set to 0 min which appears to be the default. It also has sleep but the only option under it is allow wake timers or not.

I will let you know in the morning if this helps or not.