Old NiMH batteries

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 16, 2005 1:35:17 PM

I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
new ones.
Old Photographer

More about : nimh batteries

July 16, 2005 2:56:23 PM

polkrobert@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
> old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
> running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
> new ones.
> Old Photographer

Retire them to lighter duties like radios, torches (aka flashlights),
.... where they'll probably give another few years service.

Chris
July 16, 2005 6:17:34 PM

<polkrobert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
>old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
>running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
>new ones.
> Old Photographer

that's me finished..........the minutes silence.

ted
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:02:24 PM

Thanks for the info.
Dave Cohen

"Ted" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D bb4tu$p9a$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> <polkrobert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5
>>years old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even
>>tried running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy
>>some new ones.
>> Old Photographer
>>

> that's me finished..........the minutes silence.
>
> ted

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:01:44 PM

I retire my old rechargables, ni-cad and NiMH alike, to my remote
controls. So little is asked of them there that they have several more
years of service to give.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:56:28 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 10:56:23 -0700, chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk wrote:

>polkrobert@bellsouth.net wrote:
>> I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
>> old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
>> running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
>> new ones.
>> Old Photographer
>
>Retire them to lighter duties like radios, torches (aka flashlights),
>... where they'll probably give another few years service.

No. NiMH are not good for those uses. Even when new they lose a few percent
of their charge every day. So your flashlight batteries would have to be
recharged every week or two. You want alkalines in a flashlight, so when
you need it unexpectedly in a couple years it still works.

NiMH batteries have become very cheap. At Target, for example, they are
only $2.50 each, and they will hold about twice the charge as yours did
when they were new five years ago. (At Costco they would probably be even
less.)

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:28:53 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:56:28 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

> NiMH batteries have become very cheap. At Target, for example, they are
> only $2.50 each, and they will hold about twice the charge as yours did
> when they were new five years ago. (At Costco they would probably be even
> less.)

When you're not capturing images of brooklyn photo storefronts and
get a chance to visit Manhattan, J&R has a 10-pack of Power2000 AA's
for $19.95 last time I checked. If you get fewer, the price rises
to about the same $2.50 each that Target charges. This brand has
proven to be as high quality as any other I've owned, and as of last
December they were up to 2,500 mah. I suppose this message isn't
mainly intended for you since you already have access to Target and
Costco.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:48:02 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:35:17 -0400, <polkrobert@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
>old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
>running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
>new ones.
>Old Photographer

Take them back for a refund. ;-)
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:48:03 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:48:02 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

>>I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5 years
>>old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
>>running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy some
>>new ones.
>>Old Photographer
>
> Take them back for a refund. ;-)

Now we know how you got your name and who gave it to you. <g>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:05:00 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:28:53 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

> When you're not capturing images of brooklyn photo storefronts and
>get a chance to visit Manhattan,

I do get into Manhattan, bur rarely these days down at J&R?

What I do need to do is to make a grand trip of Manhattan getting new
pictures for that album. I do have some to take here, and those do come
first.

> J&R has a 10-pack of Power2000 AA's
>for $19.95 last time I checked.

Actually I now use that brain dead 8400 which has a proprietary battery. So
I only use AAs for my external flash, and I have enough to last until they
wear out.

> I suppose this message isn't
>mainly intended for you since you already have access to Target and
>Costco.

No Costco. There is one a couple miles away, but I have no membership. I
can't see buying enough to justify a membership. Food is cheaper at the
local food coop, and living alone the Costco sizes would be silly. Not sure
just what else they sell I could want. I can walk to Target. Lowes and Home
Depot are a short bike ride away.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:34:57 PM

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> On 16 Jul 2005 10:56:23 -0700, chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk wrote:
>
>>polkrobert@bellsouth.net wrote:
>>> I have three sets of NiMH batteries for my camera that are at least 5
>>> years
>>> old. Lately they don't seem to hold a charge very long. I've even tried
>>> running them down and recharging but no help. Guess it's time to buy
>>> some
>>> new ones.
>>> Old Photographer
>>
>>Retire them to lighter duties like radios, torches (aka flashlights),
>>... where they'll probably give another few years service.
>
> No. NiMH are not good for those uses. Even when new they lose a few
> percent
> of their charge every day. So your flashlight batteries would have to be
> recharged every week or two. You want alkalines in a flashlight, so when
> you need it unexpectedly in a couple years it still works.

You're right of course, but still that's what I do with my old NiMHs, put
'em in flashlights. Yes, they do self-discharge in a few weeks, but when I
pick up a flashlight and it's feeble I just put the batteries in a fast
charger and pick up another flashlight.

Some of my NiMH batteries are not really far gone but they're mixed sets
(one cell of a set of four has gone bad, so what to do with the other
three?) and I don't want to use them in cameras. Flashlights make a good use
for those.

N.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:41:53 PM

In article <CI6dnVZ1n-0850ffRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:

> "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message

> >>Retire them to lighter duties like radios, torches (aka flashlights),
> >>... where they'll probably give another few years service.
> >
> > No. NiMH are not good for those uses. Even when new they lose a few
> > percent
> > of their charge every day. So your flashlight batteries would have to be
> > recharged every week or two. You want alkalines in a flashlight, so when
> > you need it unexpectedly in a couple years it still works.
>
> You're right of course, but still that's what I do with my old NiMHs, put
> 'em in flashlights. Yes, they do self-discharge in a few weeks, but when I
> pick up a flashlight and it's feeble I just put the batteries in a fast
> charger and pick up another flashlight.
>
> Some of my NiMH batteries are not really far gone but they're mixed sets
> (one cell of a set of four has gone bad, so what to do with the other
> three?) and I don't want to use them in cameras. Flashlights make a good use
> for those.
>
> N.

The refresh cycle in Ansmann Energy 8 and Energy 16 chargers can
frequently salvage these old batteries and restore them to a condition
approaching their original new state.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

"Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> In article <CI6dnVZ1n-0850ffRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:
>
>> "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
>> > On 16 Jul 2005 10:56:23 -0700, chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk wrote:

[ . . . ]

>> > No. NiMH are not good for those uses. Even when new they lose a few
>> > percent
>> > of their charge every day. So your flashlight batteries would have to
>> > be
>> > recharged every week or two. You want alkalines in a flashlight, so
>> > when
>> > you need it unexpectedly in a couple years it still works.
>>
>> You're right of course, but still that's what I do with my old NiMHs, put
>> 'em in flashlights. Yes, they do self-discharge in a few weeks, but when
>> pick up a flashlight and it's feeble I just put the batteries in a fast
>> charger and pick up another flashlight.
>>
>> Some of my NiMH batteries are not really far gone but they're mixed sets
>> (one cell of a set of four has gone bad, so what to do with the other
>> three?) and I don't want to use them in cameras. Flashlights make a good
>> use
>> for those.
>>
>> N.
>
> The refresh cycle in Ansmann Energy 8 and Energy 16 chargers can
> frequently salvage these old batteries and restore them to a condition
> approaching their original new state.

I have a couple of Maha C204F chargers that have a "conditioning" mode which
automatically deep cycles the batteries, and sometimes that does restore
batteries that appear to be bad. Sometimes it doesn't. I've also
occasionally restored batteries by slow-charging them when they fail in a
fast charger, but usually if conditioning in the C204F doesn't bring 'em
back, nothing else I've got will either. With the cost of new NiMH batteries
as low as it is, there's a point beyond which I just don't bother with
troublesome ones anymore.

N.

> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:19:10 PM

In article <O5udnUG_D6VgP0ffRVn-3Q@comcast.com>,
"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:

> I have a couple of Maha C204F chargers that have a "conditioning" mode which
> automatically deep cycles the batteries

That is what the older Ansmann Traveler 4 and 6 did. The Energy 8 and 16
refresh mode is far more effective.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:30:45 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:34:57 -0400, Nostrobino wrote:

> Some of my NiMH batteries are not really far gone but they're mixed sets
> (one cell of a set of four has gone bad, so what to do with the other
> three?) and I don't want to use them in cameras. Flashlights make a good use
> for those.

Find something that uses 1, 2 or 3 AA batteries. When 1 of four
goes bad, I have a couple of radios that are happy to take the
remaining 3 AAs. Or the remaining 3 could be split up, with 2 going
to one device and the remaining AA to another. I'm using a single
AA NiMH cell in a Sony CD player at the moment that's been in use
for several weeks, and according to the battery level meter it has
lots of life left in it even though its been used for over 20 hours
on the current charge. I get similar battery life with Minidisc
players that use only a single AA.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:28:50 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:34:57 -0400, Nostrobino wrote:
>
>> Some of my NiMH batteries are not really far gone but they're mixed sets
>> (one cell of a set of four has gone bad, so what to do with the other
>> three?) and I don't want to use them in cameras. Flashlights make a good
>> use
>> for those.
>
> Find something that uses 1, 2 or 3 AA batteries. When 1 of four
> goes bad, I have a couple of radios that are happy to take the
> remaining 3 AAs. Or the remaining 3 could be split up, with 2 going
> to one device and the remaining AA to another. I'm using a single
> AA NiMH cell in a Sony CD player at the moment that's been in use
> for several weeks, and according to the battery level meter it has
> lots of life left in it even though its been used for over 20 hours
> on the current charge. I get similar battery life with Minidisc
> players that use only a single AA.

Yes, that's a good idea. I don't have any three-AA devices, but I do have a
Rio S10 MP3 player that takes a single. Two-cell is no problem of course as
I use the flashlights for that. And (probably unlike most people) I really
do use the flashlights quite a lot.

N.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:31:32 PM

> In article <O5udnUG_D6VgP0ffRVn-3Q@comcast.com>,
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of Maha C204F chargers that have a "conditioning" mode
>> which
>> automatically deep cycles the batteries
>
> That is what the older Ansmann Traveler 4 and 6 did. The Energy 8 and 16
> refresh mode is far more effective.

Interesting. I'm not familiar with that brand. The fact is I already have a
slew of NiMH chargers, probably more than I need (and batteries too) because
most of the digital cameras I buy now take Li-ion rechargeables.

N.
!