$2000 Workstation with a side of gaming

mr-fish

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: preferably by this weekend (06/02-06/03)

Budget Range: ~$2000USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: work, videogames

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (in order of preference) Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Most likely, depending on stability

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly in the future

Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440 Resolution, although will most likely add a 2nd 2560x1440 in the next few months.

Additional Comments: The ideal look of a PC for me would be Voodoo Omen, so I am striving for clean+simplistic look inside and out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone FT02B ATX Mid Tower Case ($229.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1964.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Although now that I have actually researched a bit, I have to say I am even more up in the air about a processor/motherboard combo. The 2700k seems to perform nearly just as well as the 3770k, with more stability for overclocking. Also while an X79/i7-3930 configuration would seem to be the best for a workstation, I haven't really seen much in the way of benchmarks for 3D rendering/After Effects work that lead me to believe it would make it worth the $300+(depending on MB) increase in pricetag.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Solution
G

your absolutely right, a i7-3770K even gives a 3960X a run for the money.
Synthetic_03.png

i give ya something to think about if you care to . ...

you made some pretty good selection.only change i would suggest is the cooler.you pay 100 bucks and still get performance of a high end(cheaper)air cooler and issues too.recently i saw one more problem-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=276036&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
better go with a good aircooler, i would suggest cooler master hyper 612 PWM,it's as big as D14 but cools really well-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103106&Tpk=hyper%20612
By the way,that's some really fine looking case :lol:
other things are great and one more thing,if you are building a rig mainly for professional works and some gaming then you *might* wanna take a look at x79 platform-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011
supports a lot of ram,pci e lanes and other stuff.

G

your absolutely right, a i7-3770K even gives a 3960X a run for the money.
Synthetic_03.png

i give ya something to think about if you care to . . you do not have to have a 750 watt PSU for that set up
a i7 3770K hits 147 watts max
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/523/bench/Power.png
a 670 maxes at 167 watts
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/images/power_maximum.gif

thats 314 watts then throw in 10 for the HD and over compansate 10 for the SSD and 8 each for chipset and RAM. thats 350 watts on the 12 volt rail or 30 amps.

Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt $116.99
+12V@52A
is plenty even if you decide to go SLI later with another 670.

but thats me being picky, great build :)

Solution
Your opinion mine is different the case he picked is only a mid tower and overpriced imo ;)

good point but i would go with a 750w psu for $2k build :p

G

i'd give my lecture on too much wattage is as harmful as not enough but i think you've read it enough on this forum already :lol:
a few dozen times! :lol:
but like i said . .being picky . . .

cheers

yeah that's i know it's a personal preference but still i would like to know the reason why you would choose HAF X or chaser over fortress??
share you thought :)

No real reason i guess because i own both the cases i recommended and i love them :lol: there both full towers and cheaper + Great thermal performance + Expandability+ Plenty of options for cable management ;) i never have owned the fortress and for the price i highly doubt it's worth it but i could be wrong.

mr-fish

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

My workflow is currently Cinema 4D, After Effects CS5, and the rest of the CS5 creative suite. That said I am planning to get back into Zbrush in the near future.

Thanks, I will look into air-cooling more then!
the X79 seems like a good move with most supporting up to 64gb RAM, but I wouldn't be populating all the slots right away, and the price jump to get a LGA 2011 processor that performs comparably to the 3770k seems a bit high. I am also not sure how fully the programs I am working with would take advantage of that much RAM. Not saying that it may not be a good move, I am just having trouble understanding how much better it would be (it seems to me from benchmarks that on a 12hour render a X79/LGA2011 setup would be a matter of a few minutes faster.)

Thank you, but the aesthetic of the FT02 is my preference. As well I am extremely intrigued by the rotated MB, and as hellfire24 mentioned it has other perks that would lead to a much cleaner build. So this is largely non-negotiable for me. The cooler I will look into though.

Yeah, this has been my main confusion. The 3930 and 3960X definitely perform better than a 3770K, but again, it seems as if it would only be an improvement of minutes on a 12 hour render. Also, thanks for the heads up on the PSU. I mostly just tossed one in there, but it looks like you saved me the trouble of plugging in everything on thermaltake :)

No problem you have a great build i think you'll be happy with it ;)

TRENDING THREADS