Your question

$800 Gaming PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 7:34:51 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: I'd like to start purchasing the parts this week and next week. So in theory My purchasing will take place hopefully within the time period of May30th 2012-June 12 2012

Budget Range: $600-$850

System Usage: This will used exclusively for gaming.

Parts Not Required: I plan on using my TV as a monitor, and I have speakers, a keyboard, and a mouse already.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I like newegg.com a lot, but really I'll buy from any reputable site.

Parts Preferences: I just want quality materials within my budget.

Overclocking: Maybe. It would be nice if the mobo and hardware make it as easy as possible though.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: I plan on using my Panasonic Viera 42 inch ST30. It is a 3D tv, but I am unsure about what the resolution would look like on this. Here is a link with the specs of my TV, if they're needed :http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Panasonic-Plasma-HDTV-p/tcp...

(If you think there would be any problems with using the TV as a monitor, please let me know. I spent a lot on that TV and would like to get good use out of it.

Additional Comments: Some things that I want the PC to have: HDMI out. Optical Audio out. I don't really need more than a 500GB hard drive. The last desktop that I bought was back in 2004, it was a sony VAIO, so I am assuming it is too old to salvage anything out of.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the main sort of games i will be playing are things like Skyrim and Oblivion. So I guess when you are thinking about what to recommend, I would like to ultimately be able to run Skyrim with a bunch of mods on the highest detail and resolution available.

I will add any additional details if I think of anything.

At the time of this posting, I have not yet purchased any parts to begin assembling the PC. I'll update this part of the post as warranted.

More about : 800 gaming

May 31, 2012 12:17:21 AM

So any suggestions on a processor? That seems to be a good place to start. I want something that is reliable and will run well while keeping in mind that I want to keep the price at or under $800.

Processor and mobo combo suggestions would be appreciated. Something reliable, but cheap enough to allow enough money spend on the video card, obviously. Thanks!
May 31, 2012 12:19:43 AM

Here is what I was recommended, as I am planning to build a computer at $850 for my brother.

Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme4 $90 combo'd with 3570K
CPU 3570K $190
RAM 8GB DDR3 $44
GPU Sapphire 7850 $260 --> overclock it
HDD Samsung/Seagate 1TB
DVD Burner $18
PSU XFX 650W $68
Case NZXT Tempest 210 $55
Hyper 212 EVO $35
Related resources
May 31, 2012 1:02:18 AM

The above build will be better for you. :) 
May 31, 2012 1:14:01 AM

alright I'm going to look through these and start making decisions. I am itching to start buying stuff, so If I come to any decisions I'll post them.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll prob have some ?'s in a few.

Any and all advice is still welcome though!
May 31, 2012 1:37:27 AM

All good we're here to help!
May 31, 2012 1:41:42 AM

aznshinobi, that link for the mobo HDD combo lists it at 189.

what do you think about going for this combo instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

It is the same mobo comboed with a seagate baracuda 750 GB HDD. for like $5 more.

Besides the size, the only other difference I saw was it has 32MB cache as opposed to 16MB on that combo you posted.

Would it be worth the extra 5 to get this combo? Or is it not a quality HDD and not worth it?
May 31, 2012 2:19:20 AM

Both are fine. Your deal sounds sweet.

May 31, 2012 2:40:55 AM

Thanks lol. I was looking for that combo on microcenter that azeem40 mentioned. Which would have saved me a boat load of money by combining the z77 board with the 3570K processor, but unfortunately the processor is only available for in store pickup now, so I can't add it to my cart to get the discount on the mother board.

Dang! I might just go with that mobo HDD combo i posted then. Unless theres some way around the instore pickup of that 3570K. grrr.
May 31, 2012 4:07:07 AM

Yeah, you be local to get those deals. You could try a price matching store like Fry's. But even Fry's or other competitors will say, if they're smart, that Microcenter's pricing is local only so they won't do it. BUT, could be worth the shot @ Best Buy or something. Best Buy, no offense, has a lot of ignorant employees.
May 31, 2012 7:09:40 AM

Haha no offense taken about BB employees here. I once had an argument about HDMI cables with one of their employees for a while. Me telling him that the plasma TV itself upconverted to 600hz and him telling me that you needed a more expensive cable to get it to do that. I avoided slapping him.

I'll check that out.
May 31, 2012 8:45:10 AM

Yeah, Best Buy employees... pretty dumb. I have a family member, not to say that I hate her. But she's ignorant on the subject but still thinks Best Buy supremacy vs all other companies... SMH.

And hah, I would've slapped him. Probably worth a double face palm.
June 1, 2012 8:46:07 PM

Okay! So! I have actually started purchasing stuff now, so I will update you on what I have, and proceed accordingly haha

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
seen here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda ST3750525AS 750GB

VIDEO CARD: Radeon HD 6950 2GB
seen here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A COUPLE QUESTIONS STILL:

What is the opinion of cases that come with power supplies? Is that something that is not recommended? I figure it might be a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone, but I know that dead birds don't always lead to a good end result.

Also, a good CPU that is cheap and won't limit me too much? Is the i5 2500K like the lowest I should go here? I don't want to limit myself, but at the same time I don't want to spend too much here if my video card is going to be doing the grunt work anyway. Any further recommendations? would the i3 2100 work? or will it get dated too fast?

I have a DVD burner left over from my sony VAIO that I bought in 2004. Any chance that will still work with my new build? Or do I need another one?
June 1, 2012 10:10:42 PM

any knowledgeable processor guys out there? lol
June 1, 2012 10:33:18 PM

For an $800 build, yes, the i5-2500k is the best CPU for gaming on the market.
June 1, 2012 11:10:14 PM

Would go for a 7850 not the 6950. The 6950 though $50 cheaper. The 7850 runs slightly better, overclocks way better, runs cooler and quieter as well as consumes less power even after an overclock. When the 7850 is @ 1GHZ (which is easy, just slide the sliders in the drivers menu) it performs MUCH better than an OC'd 6950 @ MAX. The 7850 1GHZ performs like a GTX 580 without the heat, power consumption and negatives.

As for the CPU, get the i5 2500K. The i3 2100 will be fine but it's just nice to know you have an i5 2500K. Though you might not need it for JUST gaming.
June 2, 2012 7:10:49 PM

Once again, your knowledge is greatly appreciated, my friend.
June 2, 2012 8:09:36 PM

No problemo! Anything else needed?
!