Solved

[PSU] What 560W or 660W

Hey guys! May I need some help? i used the Cooler Master Calculator to get the W. i know it's not accurate but i wanna hear from experienced users. If ever I want to upgrade my gtx 680 or SLI it, i would also buy a newer PSU. so the PSU in the new build will also be replaced sometime.

the current build:
recommended psu W: 296W

p4 3.0ghz prescott
intel-dg31pr
2 sticks dd2 kingston
1 ide 250GB seagate
asus 24x DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive
Palit GT440
FSP HEXA 500W

-------------------------

the new build:
recommended psu W: 422W

i7-3770K
asrock extreme6
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600 8GB (4gbx2kit) CL9 Blue F3-12800CL9D-8GBXM
1TB WDC Caviar Black
asus 24x DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive
Palit Geforce GTX 680 2048mb JETSTREAM Gddr5 256Bit
Seasonic X-660 660W 80Plus Gold Full Modular Power Supply

With my new build, is the PSU OK? Or should I decide to get on lower W like a 560W

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 560w 660w
  1. The new PSU is fine. It's probably good enough for SLIing if you decide to get another GTX 680.
  2. For SLI GTX680's, I would personally want a 750w PSU just so I could have a little bit more headroom...

However, both of those PSU's will do fine.
  3. I agree, you need a750w if you want future sli with 680.

I would just go with the a good 550w. When you want to upgrade your video card, just get a new faster single card, it'll use a lot less power than the card you have now.
  4. When I would SLI another card or buy a new video card, I will also buy a new PSU. So the PSU stated above is somewhat like temporary. I want to know if the 560W is not sufficient. ^_^
  5. Best answer
    Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 680 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
    GeForce GTX 680 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. Source: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-sli-review/4 http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/PSU.pdf
  6. If this is just a temporary PSU, then get a 550w. However, why don't you invest a bit more money now and just get a 750w PSU for the future? Or is the SLI not set-in-stone which is the reasoning for a lower wattage PSU?
  7. It's because I wanted a fully modular PSU and a Platinum certification but in my current situation today, my budget is not gonna give me what I want. Thanks for your insight guys. Appreciate it. :)
  8. Best answer selected by w1r1zu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies New Build Components