LS443 Kodak Easyshare power problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 16, 2005 12:12:34 PM

I have a LS443 Kodak Easyshare. I am experiencing power problems.
When I turn on the camera, it momentarily shows a lcd display, the
green lights come on, but in about 2 seconds the whole thing shuts off.
It will not power up. I don't have a dock and use the usb port. When
the cable is in, the computer can read the memory card and transfer
pictures, but as soon as I pull the cable out, the camera shuts off. I
tried several batteries, and that is not the problem. I downloaded the
latest firmware, and transfered into the camera, but without power I
don't have a way to update the camera.

Rick
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 2:07:17 AM

On 16 Jul 2005 08:12:34 -0700, Rick wrote:

> I have a LS443 Kodak Easyshare. I am experiencing power problems.
> When I turn on the camera, it momentarily shows a lcd display, the
> green lights come on, but in about 2 seconds the whole thing shuts off.
> It will not power up. I don't have a dock and use the usb port. When
> the cable is in, the computer can read the memory card and transfer
> pictures, but as soon as I pull the cable out, the camera shuts off. I
> tried several batteries, and that is not the problem. I downloaded the
> latest firmware, and transfered into the camera, but without power I
> don't have a way to update the camera.

I assume that the batteries are lithium rechargeables. Yes? What
you describe might be due to a defective charger. If each battery
was used until exhausted and then replaced with another, all of the
batteries would soon become exhausted. The residual power in each
battery, as well as perhaps a slight recovery from sitting outside
the camera for minutes or hours might allow the 'dead' batteries to
power on the camera for a few seconds. Although I use NiMH
batteries in all of my cameras (some AA, some proprietary), they all
do essentially the same thing that you're seeing. When the
batteries are dead, they can still power on the camera for a second
or two, repeatedly. If this is the problem, the good news is that a
new charger costs a lot less than a new camera. The bad news is
that if I'm mistaken, and that the LS443 uses AA batteries (and as
you said, you've tried others), then the camera would need to be
repaired or replaced. If you have a local camera store that has one
of Kodak's cameras that uses the same battery (LS443, LS453?) you
might want to try putting your battery in it, to see if it powers
the camera as expected, or if it also is good for only a second or
two. That would help determine where the problem really lies.
July 18, 2005 7:08:40 PM

I have 1 new battery, and a new charger. I will try your suggestion.
However, I have spoken to another LS443 owner, and was told that he
experienced the same thing, and had to replace the memory card. I
tried to power up the camera without the removable memory card in it,
but it had no effect. Is there an internal memory card that can be
replaced? Is this a costly fix? Or should I scrap the camera? It was
used, and a gift, and there is no warrenty.
Rick
July 19, 2005 2:46:16 AM

On 18 Jul 2005 15:08:40 -0700, Rick wrote:

> I have 1 new battery, and a new charger. I will try your suggestion.
> However, I have spoken to another LS443 owner, and was told that he
> experienced the same thing, and had to replace the memory card. I
> tried to power up the camera without the removable memory card in it,
> but it had no effect. Is there an internal memory card that can be
> replaced? Is this a costly fix? Or should I scrap the camera? It was
> used, and a gift, and there is no warrenty.

It probably isn't worth the cost to repair it, but check Kodak's
website to see if they allow using your old camera to trade up. If
you just bought a new battery and charger for it, it may be worth
getting it repaired. I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall
someone mentioning in a message here several months ago that Kodak
allowed them to trade up to a different model. Whether new or
refurbished I don't recall.

The LS443 uses SD/MMC cards but also has 16MB of built-in memory.
Whether it is soldered in place or held in a socket, the odds of you
being able to open the camera and remove it (let alone have a
compatible replacement) and then reassemble the camera without
leaving it in worse condition is near zero.

You didn't make clear whether the other LS443 owner replaced the
SD card or had to send the camera back to Kodak to have its internal
memory replaced, but as the camera should have worked using the
internal memory and no card installed, I assume that he/she returned
the camera. Ask that person what the cost was (if it wasn't covered
by warranty). There's a Kodak rep. that frequents this joint and if
he sees this thread may have better suggestions for you. Offhand
though, it seems odd that a memory problem would cause the camera to
fail when powered by internal batteries but operate properly when