CM Storm Scout & ASR Extreme4 Chassis Fans

vasametropolis

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hi there,

I'm a first time builder (and poster, sorry if wrong category) and I'm actually very satisfied with how I've done with my build. However, one small thing has kind of bothered me a bit.

My Corsair HX750 came with a great selection of power cables, including one that I think I need, but haven't been able to get it to work. Basically, how I have my chassis fans working right now is one cable with multiple 4-pin male molex connectors plugged into the corresponding female chassis fan connectors (chained). Then I plug the end of that guy into the power supply and I'm done.

But, there is a MALE molex connector the case has along the exact same strand which I can plug into this guy:

8524d1348073804-new-build-help-img_5335.jpg

So, I assume instead of plugging it in to the power supply unit, I can use this connection instead to plug it into the convenient 4-pin CHA_FAN1 on my mobo. I'd like to this instead so I'll be able to control the fan speed.

Only problem is... the 4-pin connector on the mobo doesn't seem to FIT this connector. Well, hypothetically it does, but there's a thin plastic guard that sticks out right above the pins that block the little raised portion on the molex to 4-pin head you see on that cable up there.

At first I thought that was a way to get you to plug it in upside down (to prevent you from putting it in the wrong way in other words), but when I do that, the computer starts up but the case fans aren't spinning.

It's possible they aren't supposed to spin because the motherboard is controlling them, but I just don't know. Maybe someone can answer that.

Thanks

vasametropolis

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
LOL.

Well, thanks for clearing that up I guess. So, it looks like I'll need to just get a Molex -> 4-pin connector that I'll replace the current one with that goes into the PSU.

Or maybe I'll just leave it... the case fans aren't that loud, but it would be nice.

Anyways, yeah thanks. I'm glad I could be of some amusement. I really just had no clue what it was.

Edit: Then again, I don't even know how many pins the molex's have so it might not even be possible! I'll look into a fan controller as you mentioned below maybe. Anyways, I'm marking this as solved.

You're very welcome :lol: I'm glad I could help dissolve this mystery of yours... :na:

You could always purchase a fan controller if you're wanting to well, control your fans. The NZXT Sentry Mix is a very nice one that I'll be purchasing very soon :)

ScheissSchiesser

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Do your fans on your case have the 4-pin Molex connectors on them already? Or can you simply plug them into the mobo? I have a CM Storm Enforcer, and all of the case fans are plugged directly into the mobo CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, and CHA_FAN3 (I bought another fan) headers on my extreme4. I can now control them individually using the Asrock AXTU software. You may try this configuration to get what you want (though it means not using any of the MOLEX connectors on your PSU).