Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Opteron overclockers, come aboard!!!

I just got an opteron 165. I want to OC this CPU and as far as i know the highest multiplier in this model is the x9. So the only way to go is raising the HTT frequency from 200 to lets say 266mhz. This would give me my 2.4GHz wanted result. BUT, my memory is still DDR400. The main question is:

1 - Should i pick a faster DDR memory to run the CPU and memory in syncronous mode or
2 - Should i keep my OCZ DDR400 memory running on stock 400Mhz (can i keep it on 1/133 mode? is that possible?) or even
3 - Screw it all and OC my memory also to 533mhz and pray that it wont burn.

Any real life, trully done ideas would be nice. Is the performance gain high even on asyncronous mode? Is the syncronous mode THAT better, even with greater timings?
oh and heres my new guess for memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227066
and heres my memory that ill order in case i keep those 400mhz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Simple, run the memory asynchronously to keep it within its level of tolerance, tweaking timings and voltage as needed to maintain stability.

There are no performance hits for asynchronous operation thanks to the ODMC.

Is your memory based on TCCD or BH5/UTT ICs ?

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Heres what i have in mind:
270x9 with 6/8 memory multiplier, wich results in a opteron 2430 plus a DDR405 memory
by raising HTT, can i burn anything? On stock cooling of course. Might The thigher HTT heat up my north bridge also?
Ima get a DFI lanparty mobo, takes all the changes without complaining

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Heres what i have in mind:
270x9 with 6/8 memory multiplier, wich results in a opteron 2430 plus a DDR405 memory
by raising HTT, can i burn anything? On stock cooling of course. Might The thigher HTT heat up my north bridge also?
Ima get a DFI lanparty mobo, takes all the changes without complaining

My mobo is over 18 months old and has yet to show signs of failure even though I'm running the HTT bus at 317MHz 24/7.

As long as you keep the total HT frequency below 1GHz by using the 3x multiplier, you'll do alright and probably manage more than 2.4GHz out of that CPU.

Which ICs are your memory modules based on, what is your mobo's model and what is the stepping and datecode on your CPU ?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Good pick on the motherboard since it can be modded into supporting SLI (can't hurt, even if you don't intend to).

Bad pick on that memory since the Infineon IC's are bad overclockers, get Winbond BH5/UTT or Samsung TCCD if you're going to overclock.

Do you actually have the hardware already or are you about to order and asking for a second opinion ?

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Well i live in BRazil and i asked my import company to get em, but i still have till tomorrow to change my mind about anything, if the price do not vary more then a few dollars. I wont OC this memory. I will keep those 2-3-2-5 and make it 405MHz for a 270HTT and 6/8multiplier. 5mhz wont hurt on this one. Just want to pump my opteron to 2.4GHz stable and keep this memory as it is. What do you think?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Well, considering that the hardware is pretty much set in stone at this point, you would still be able to use the other mem:cpu ratios if you decide to crank your CPU beyond 2.4GHz while keeping your memory stable.

Also keep in mind that memory being a "bad overclocker" simply means that it will require slacked timings to reach 250MHz and more voltage to go beyond 270MHz.

By no means are those numbers indicative of any standards, they are purely subjective in nature.

Once you get your stuff, single out a variable like the maximum operating frequency of your memory and test it, rince and repeat until you get the optimal combination of frequency, voltage and timings.

Then all you have to do is to follow the same guidelines for your CPU until you reach the "Sweet Spot" that combine all of those factors.