Sign in with
Your question

Picked parts for PC- are these good to go? (first time builder)

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 12:30:58 PM

Hallo, my laptop broke over a month ago, and I have been selling things to get enough funds for a functioning PC.
Although I only need a functioning PC (as of now), I am still targeting my parts at around high range, so that when I have even more funds, I can buy the rest of the parts I need. Like I said, all I need now is a functioning PC.

Here are the parts I have picked;

Intel Core i5 3570K - £177.96
Corsair Carbide 400R Case - £77.60
Corsair Vengeance Memory Blue 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1866mhz - £48.03
Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU - £124.91
Crucial 128GB M4 SSD - £83.00
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 - 154.50

Total £666.00 (no that was not intentional :D  )

Once I have enough money, I will add;

CPU cooler (haven't decided between 212 Evo or higher end cooler yet)
GTX 670 (maybe a second one in the future)
Hard drives. Lots of hard drives.
3x Dell U2412M (won't buy them all in one go though).

So what do you think? Are these parts fine? I'm not missing anything crucial? It will be my first time building so I keep thinking I haven't got everything I need, and things like that. Opinions on the actual parts themselves are welcome too, although I am pretty much set in these are the parts that I want.

Oh and the screen I will be using is an old LG Flatron 1024x768 (perfect for gaming with HD 4000 :D  )
And if I will possibly be buying a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja (with MX browns) as the keyboard.

One more question- I will be buying the parts from ebuyer. Anyone know if there is any kinds of discounts I can get with them?

May 30, 2012 12:38:44 PM

Yep your all good to go, but ditch the ram for corsair 1600mhz ram, as theres really no difference your just paying the extra,
Related resources
May 30, 2012 12:42:55 PM

Uther39 said:
Yep your all good to go, but ditch the ram for corsair 1600mhz ram, as theres really no difference your just paying the extra,

Ah, thanks for the reply :) 
And I just switched out the 1866 for some 1600 now.
Brought the total down to £658.03, thank you.

Also, do I need a disk drive or not?
May 30, 2012 12:48:58 PM

gekigami said:
Also, do I need a disk drive or not?

You don't necessarily NEED one, but it makes things a little easier when it comes to installing the OS, rather than messing about with a network cable or putting the OS onto a memory stick.

You could always buy a USB optical drive instead. A friend of mine was planning on doing this because he had a white case and didn't want to spoil the look of the front with a big black optical drive dumped in :) 
May 30, 2012 12:53:54 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Here's some UK suppliers you can check out to compare prices:

www.amazon.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.dabs.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk
www.novatech.co.uk
www.aria.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk

Thanks for the help :D 
Although I have checked those sites before, and they either don't have all the parts in stock, or are more expensive :( 

AdrianPerry said:
You don't necessarily NEED one, but it makes things a little easier when it comes to installing the OS, rather than messing about with a network cable or putting the OS onto a memory stick.

You could always buy a USB optical drive instead. A friend of mine was planning on doing this because he had a white case and didn't want to spoil the look of the front with a big black optical drive dumped in :) 

Yeah that's the reason I didn't want one. But eh, I guess at some point I'll have to grit my teeth and bear it. Have a lot of CD's (audio) that need going on the PC. But that can wait.

Will a 16gb flash drive I have lying around be sufficient enough to hold W7?
May 30, 2012 1:03:54 PM

gekigami said:
Yeah that's the reason I didn't want one. But eh, I guess at some point I'll have to grit my teeth and bear it. Have a lot of CD's (audio) that need going on the PC. But that can wait.

Grab a USB one - then you can connect and disconnect it whenever you need to use it :) 

gekigami said:
Will a 16gb flash drive I have lying around be sufficient enough to hold W7?

Yes, 4GB is enough to make a Windows 7 boot from a flash drive.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech...
May 30, 2012 1:19:02 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Grab a USB one - then you can connect and disconnect it whenever you need to use it :) 

Yes, 4GB is enough to make a Windows 7 boot from a flash drive.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech...

Ah that's good to hear :) 
And what's the cheapest way I can get W7 Home premium or Professional or whatever. I really am not looking forward to factoring it in to my budget (or giving any money to microsoft in general).
May 30, 2012 1:22:44 PM

Being a Student usually gets you Windows 7 pretty cheap. Don't know if you either are one, or know anyone that can get you one?

Buying an OEM version rather than a full retail version will also save you some money and there's no difference between what your buying.

The other option is to install the Windows 8 BETA (which is free). However I tried it myself and didn't really get on with it.
May 30, 2012 1:42:37 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Being a Student usually gets you Windows 7 pretty cheap. Don't know if you either are one, or know anyone that can get you one?

Buying an OEM version rather than a full retail version will also save you some money and there's no difference between what your buying.

The other option is to install the Windows 8 BETA (which is free). However I tried it myself and didn't really get on with it.

Yes I am a student, but not in Uni, so I don't know if that will qualify me for it.
And I would rather not use W8, looks horrible.

Thanks for all your help. :) 
!