Your question

Need help with picking a PSU

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
September 23, 2012 5:55:41 PM

Hey guys, I'm wondering what kind of PSU I should be getting with this new build.

CPU: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB GDDR5

MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM Aluminum Fins Copper Base 6 Heat Pipes

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

At the moment I have some no name 500w PSU that I was using to hold me over until I was able to afford a new one since my last one burned out. I also have an LG optical drive but not sure which one it is.

More about : picking psu

a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 5:56:52 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

:)  this would provide more than enough power and give you enough overhead to OC.

On a side note, did you purchase these components already? I would recommend you purchase a different kit of RAM. That kit comes with 3 sticks for LGA1366 CPU's in Triple Channel. AMD only supports Dual Channel and you throwing in an odd number of RAM sticks will render it useless.
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:21:18 PM

Hey Mocchan, thanks a lot for the reply and your time! That PSU looks great and that's a very reasonable price also!

No I haven't purchased ram yet that is the last thing I'll be getting and wasn't completely sure, thanks for catching that :D  . What would you recommend? The reason I choose 12gb 3x4gb was that I wanted a bit more than 8gb of ram but didn't want to spend the money that 16gbs would cost. I was also trying to stay away from anything red because everything in my comp is blue lol :sweat: 

I don't really know a lot about computers just like basic stuff that gets me by lol. The sole purpose for my computer is for GW2 being run smoothly at high settings in world vs world and big events that involve a lot of people. At the moment my Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 is holding me back. Usually I'm running over 80-95% CPU usage when playing and running Skype and/or Vent and Winamp in the backround.

I was also looking at these other MBs because they were in the same price range if you don't count the rebate.
Is it even worth it to go with a different one? I don't really see any differences.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 7:34:14 PM

Seconded getting 2x 4GB instead of 3x 4GBs. You don't need the extra 4 anyway on a gaming PC.

Also, if you get an i3-3220 + H77 board instead of that cpu + processor you might not even need to replace the no name 500w PSU. The performance will be about the same while using 70w less which is a whole lot easier on any PSU regardless which you are using.
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:49:04 PM

Hey Raiddinn thanks for replying. I currently already have the CPU+processor, I don't plan on returning it so I don't mind upgrading the PSU. But I do appreciate your input and I'll def be going with 8gb if there's no need for more.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 7:55:59 PM

BTW, The XFX 550w already mentioned is a great entry level PSU which is more than good enough for most people's PCs including the one you listed above. Consider that seconded as well.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 9:49:50 PM

:)  Black kit of 8GB RAM.

Also, if you already purchased the motherboard+CPU, just OC your chip and you should get satisfactory results.

Regarding RAM, most games nowadays can't even use up 8GB of RAM, I've only seen my RAM usage go up to around 5.5GB on BF3 multiplayer. But keep in mind that was with heaps of web browsers open and a few IM's; that leaves me to the conclusion that my game was only using around 4GB of RAM.

As for gameplay, you may want to consider getting a Radeon HD6870 if you plan to play @ 1080p :)  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor...

Anything lower, however, and you wouldn't run into issues.

Note: I prefer to play games in the 40-50 FPS range, 26-35 is still VERY playable.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 11:06:16 PM

Anything south of 30 FPS is generally noticeable and annoying for most people. FPS after 30 has dramatically diminishing returns that drop off to almost nothing over 46 FPS and absolutely nothing after 60 FPS (assuming smooth frame rendering).

As for the amount of RAM most games use, usually its under 2GBs. That is because if you leave 2 GBs for the OS and 2 GBs for the game, most people will still be able to play a given game if they have a total of 4 GBs of RAM, which is good for backwards compatibility with older computers.

For the same reason, most games are written as 32 bit games, because a lot of gamers still use 32 bit versions of XP, Vista, and Windows 7. If a game is 32 bit, its hard to get it to be able to use more than 2 GBs anyway.

Browser tabs use like 75 mbs each of RAM, so if you had 20 tabs open that would be 1.5 GBs approx, plus 2 for the OS and 2 for the game, that would make 5.5 GBs.

Is the 460 a DX11 card? I don't think it is. I would get a 560 or 660 instead of it myself for that reason. DX11 does cause a performance hit compared to DX9, but more and more games are using it for the added features anyway.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 11:24:05 PM

Raiddinn said:
Anything south of 30 FPS is generally noticeable and annoying for most people. FPS after 30 has dramatically diminishing returns that drop off to almost nothing over 46 FPS and absolutely nothing after 60 FPS (assuming smooth frame rendering).

As for the amount of RAM most games use, usually its under 2GBs. That is because if you leave 2 GBs for the OS and 2 GBs for the game, most people will still be able to play a given game if they have a total of 4 GBs of RAM, which is good for backwards compatibility with older computers.

For the same reason, most games are written as 32 bit games, because a lot of gamers still use 32 bit versions of XP, Vista, and Windows 7. If a game is 32 bit, its hard to get it to be able to use more than 2 GBs anyway.

Browser tabs use like 75 mbs each of RAM, so if you had 20 tabs open that would be 1.5 GBs approx, plus 2 for the OS and 2 for the game, that would make 5.5 GBs.

Is the 460 a DX11 card? I don't think it is. I would get a 560 or 660 instead of it myself for that reason. DX11 does cause a performance hit compared to DX9, but more and more games are using it for the added features anyway.

Actually, I do think the GTX460 is a DX11 card, much like the Radeon HD5000 series of cards. But you're right, GTX560 or GTX660 would give drastically better results if his budget allowed.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 12:30:40 AM

It is, I checked.

It is still massively inefficient at what it does, but I guess I can't really argue against it if that is what he wants.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 1:53:01 AM

True, true :lol:  Still a decent performer for his particular title.
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:24:50 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I didn't know any of that stuff that you mentioned Raiddinn, thanks for the new info.

I have this card that I'm carrying over from my current set up, I can't afford any of the good ones at the moment unless theres a EVGA Nvidia around $150 but still I don't plan on getting a new one anytime soon because this is still pretty new. Unless I could run my 460 and another card together?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 4:18:10 AM

I would avoid running 2x 460s at the same time.

SLIing/Crossfiring is just not all it is cracked up to be.
m
l
!