Gaming pc for my son

Melvict

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hello,
I'm in need of some advice on what RAM to buy and just a comment or three on the build so far.
Case: Aerocool VX-E Pro Limited Edition Case
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK
CPU: i5 2500
PSU: OCZ Technology ZS 650W PSU 80+Bronze
Graphic Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
RAM: Not to cheap but also not one's that will break the bank. Should it be 2x8G or 2X4G. In my book more is better in this case.

Please help me.

gekigami

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Hallo :)

If you are going for a SB CPU, I would reccomend the Z68 chipset as from what I can tell, SB won't make full use of Z77.
May I suggest the Asus P8Z68-V LX, which should be cheaper.
There is also not much need to get a z77 or z68 board unless you are overclocking, in which case, you will need a 'k' CPU (like an i5 2500k), and a heatsink like a CoolerMaster 212 evo.

For the PSU, I personally wouldn't go with OCZ, but I don't have any experience with them so my opinion probably means nothing. Just from what I have heard, OCZ tends to make unreliable parts, and I wouldn't go with an unreliable company for something which depends on reliability the most- the PSU.

You may want to change the 550ti to a 560ti, or an AMD card that performs similarly. I have heard bad things about the 550ti in terms of price : performance.

And for RAM, you most likely won't need more than 8 gb. 2x4gb would be best, and if you really did need 16gb, just add more 4gb modules later. 2 8gb models are going to be very expensive. Kingston and Corsair tend to make good RAM.

All the best :)

you want to look at the new gaming case that are like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008
the have better airflow and wire management then older cases.
with ram buy a set that has low high thermal heat spreaders..tall ones like gskill dont fit under some heat sinks.
i would also toss is a 212 cpu cooler..the intel coolers that ships with there spu uses plastic legs. they can be snapped for somone doing there first build. an ssd will make the system boot and read write speed faster then a standard mec hard drive.
8g of ram is fine if match to a good video card.

TRENDING THREADS