2GB DDR2 RAM,
NVIDIA 9400GT (512MB, 128 - bit),
CRT Monitor (Max Res: 1280 x 1024),
450 W Power Supply.

I am thinking of upgrading to

Intel i5 - 2400,
4 - 8 GB DDR3 RAM,
750W Power Supply etc.

But it will take time. I want to buy one component a month.

So I wanted to upgraded my GPU first. So that I can restart playing games.

Now I want a card which will not overburden my system but which I can use in the future build too.

My other criteria is I want to play PhysX games like Batman: Arkham City. And so can I not use the ATI R6850 to play the above? Do I really need a NVIDIA card?

Coz the 6850 matches my budget. The Nvidia GTX 460 is unavailable and the 560/560 Ti are above my budget.

I am from India.

Solution
I think you are right to work on your set up in stages so it balances your cash flow, while the GPU may be something you want to get going quickly I think your first point of call should be the PSU.

Go for a quality PSU, I would then opt for a new motherboard/CPU and memory (running any games you have on low resolutions to compensate for the weak 9400) and then get the GPU.

Anything from a 67xx onwards in the nvida range will be a good starting point for gaming

sooyong94

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Your rig is pretty ancient though. How about saving more and get everything in one shot?
Upgrading your GPU won't cut it as your PSU is not going to sustain the setup. (HD6850).
Oh, even the PSU works, the CPU would bottleneck the GPU.
Upgrading your CPU would be a much better idea and grab a good PSU and your 6850 to complete your overhaul.
Wattage is nothing if the PSU quality is crap. A 750W crap PSU would be outperformed by a good 650W. Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Antec and Silverstone manufacture good PSUs.

chinchilla_bob

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I think you are right to work on your set up in stages so it balances your cash flow, while the GPU may be something you want to get going quickly I think your first point of call should be the PSU.

Go for a quality PSU, I would then opt for a new motherboard/CPU and memory (running any games you have on low resolutions to compensate for the weak 9400) and then get the GPU.

Anything from a 67xx onwards in the nvida range will be a good starting point for gaming

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.