Sign in with
Your question

Weird noise coming from CPU area when playing certain games

Last response: in CPUs
September 23, 2012 6:19:36 PM

I've been having this for a month now and I'm starting to get a bit worried. My CPU makes a strange, high pitched, whining sound when I'm playing games like Skyrim and The Witcher 2. I just ran prime95 for 2 hours and the temps never went up higher than 50 degrees Celsius. And oddly, when running prime95 there were no strange noises at all.

Another odd thing is that when I'm playing Skyrim, there is a high pitched whining sound, but when I pause the game or go the the main menu, the noise disappears. The processor is being cooled with a Cooler Master Hyper 6 and I have never seen the processor overheating, it never got above 62 degrees Celsius after extensive testing.
September 23, 2012 6:37:06 PM

Your CPU does not make noise? I can guarantee its your hard drive and 50 degrees Celsius is normal for a CPU If it goes above 70 then its overheating
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 6:43:05 PM

Coil Whine from your power supply when it adjusts to the higher load needed to run games. - it's not the hard drive - the hard drive would make noise opening anything, not just games. The load is increased by the video card. Try running a video benchmark(like heaven), and see if it make the same noise.
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
September 23, 2012 6:53:57 PM

ss202sl said:
Coil Whine from your power supply when it adjusts to the higher load needed to run games. - it's not the hard drive - the hard drive would make noise opening anything, not just games. The load is increased by the video card. Try running a video benchmark(like heaven), and see if it make the same noise.

+1

This is the most likely issue.

I'm having an issue where I'm coil whining while idling. Strange because it's usually coil whine when you're under load :lol:  that's besides the point, though.
September 24, 2012 8:07:01 AM

I can guarantee you that the HDD is not making the noise. Anyways, thanks for the replies, but should I be worried?
September 24, 2012 8:12:12 AM

Oh and, yes. I just ran the DirectX11 Heaven benchmark and it made the same noise.
September 24, 2012 8:28:56 AM

systex said:
should I be worried?

Coil whine is more of an irritation than a problem, sometimes you can RMA your goods but I've heard reports that come manufacturers consider it normal behaviour and aren't interested except in very bad examples.
September 24, 2012 8:33:16 AM

Contact the PSU manufacturer. As said above sometimes it can just be an annoyance while more often it can be indication of potential failure in the near future (perhaps from being insufficient since it seems to happen when your video card is engaged also).
September 24, 2012 11:36:05 AM

Alright folks, I suppose it's nothing too dangerous. I just loaded the Witcher 2 and there was not a single sound coming from my PC (as usual I could only hear the air being transported from the 120mm fans). Kinda strange, when I was playing The Witcher 2 yesterday I could only hear that annoying coil whine.
September 25, 2012 3:37:19 AM

Think of it as notify that the cpu is working over 80%-90% ;)  I have p4, 10 years right now, and have changed the psu (5-6 years ago?). Im almost sure that in the older psu there was this noise too.
!