Really hot CPU AND Motherboard

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
This is a homebuilt system but i couldn't find a right category to fit this issue in if there is any.

My CPU is 80 degrees and motherboard 40 degrees. My CPU is probably hitting the 100 degree mark right about now and i think this over heating is whats messed up my old graphics card.

I need to know what you need to know so i can post up everything.

First here is a bit of history,

/Suffered a virus and i pressed ok on an alert box that kept popping up might have caused the temperature issue

/Re-installed win 7 all fine

/Norton alerts me "firefox is taking 100% of at least one CPU" I ignore this til i find it may have fried my old graphic card

/I did a complete re-instal yesterday and decided to re-apply some thermal paste, it did nothing.

/I re-checked the CPU today to see if i might have inputted it wrong which might have caused the temperatures to sore even higher. Found i might have put too much paste on and wiped the excess off.

/I think its fried a case fan i had installed as well since its stopped working.

What do i need to post up for you to help me?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
well get rid of norton and get avast security and malwarebytes but besides that if your fan is fried and your graphics care it sounds like psu problem
list your specs and are you overclocking ?

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
From what you are decribing, it sounds like your electrical power may be an issue. Running under rated volts will call higher currents and more heat. Check to make sure your PSU is sized correctly and also make sure your getting propper voltage at your outlet. High heat will cause the CPU to scale back slowing processes and increasing utilization bringing your system to a crawl.

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
Seasonic X-650 Full module 650W ATX12V Power Supply Unit - Gold
E8500 DUO INTEL 3.00GHz
4GIG Memory
Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS LGA775 nVIDIA Dual X16 SLI 4xDDR2 ATX Motherboard
Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card (this has been overclocked by the manufacturer)

how do i check im getting proper voltage from my outlet?

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
Just checked the multimeter i am getting 160 in one socket and a lot less in the other circa 50-90. I live in the UK and its 240v.

What can i do about this?

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
Sorry about this fella's but im still in need of a solution. If my multimeter is accurate than my actual power main voltage is low.

How do i sort that out?

jhgruenbaum

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
You should contact your electrical supplier or an electrician. If you live in the UK and your only getting 50 volts thats really not right, even for US outlets. Maybe you have a loose wire/corroded contact (this in itself is not safe) in your wall or some other issue that will cause an undervoltage.

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
Slight hiccup, when i inserted the multimeter prods i forgot to lower the barrier to the actual socket (you have to press the top middle slot for this work).

I checked on http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and put everything i have on my system and it states all i need is 446w, 496w recommended im using seasonic 660w model ss-660km...

Why can't my PSU handle this?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

you have 220 volt ?

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
I think the standard is 240v and i double checked the mains again this time lowering the safety pins to actually stick the multimeter pins in and the voltage was correct so it is my system.

But the above site says 496w is all that is needed?

Read another forum and someone recommended a PSU around 750w i just don't want to buy 750w and find i either need a bigger PSU or there is something stupid wrong with my machine.

user016

Distinguished
May 28, 2012
Back to my high temp issue i think my USB modem might be causing the high temperature readings. Its hot to touch after a short time and when surfing i get the warning boxes come up saying "using 100% of at least one of my processors". This is the only one that's getting hot out of the 3 usb devices i have on their (mouse and memory stick).

If this is the case what can i do?