Sign in with
Your question

If I build this PC how good will it be for gaming etc?

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2012 1:37:24 PM

I'm aiming pretty highly here - I'm hoping I'd be able to play the latest games on high/highest quality with a decent framerate for the foreseeable future.

CPU: AMD FX 8150
RAM: Corsair 16GB PC3-10666 1333 MHz DDR3
GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 700W PSU

If you think this isnt suitable at the moment what would you change or improve?

thanks.

More about : build good gaming

May 30, 2012 1:55:19 PM

Hallo :) 

Personally, I think 16GB is overkill if you aren't doing professional tasks (although I don't know if you plan to), 8GB is fine. Games won't use that much anyway.

GPU is fine.

But the CPU, you will probably want to change. Bulldozer for gaming, to put it bluntly, is terrible. I can see you're an AMD guy, so you may want to stick with the previous Phenom line. They will perform around the same and be much cheaper.
Although, if you want to mix things up, you could go for an intel i5 2500k, which is the same price, and absolutely annihilates Bulldozer in games.

Here are some benchmarks and comparisons of the two:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288
(scroll to the bottom for games benchmarks).

Good luck :) 
May 30, 2012 1:55:58 PM

Get a different PSU, get an aftermarket cooler and OC the piss out of the 8150. Or, get an Intel CPU and mobo.
Related resources
May 30, 2012 2:34:47 PM

gekigami is right. 16GB is overkill. I've got 32GB and I don't think I've ever seen the system use more then ~4GB. And the AMD processors are terrible compared to Intel's offerings. Even OCing AMD's offerings doesn't offer much advantage over intel's stock CPUs.
May 30, 2012 2:41:15 PM

thanks for your advice guys. I have revised the potential build with an i5 or possibly even i7 if funds support it ;) 

I'll also reduce the RAM based on what you've said.
Anonymous
May 30, 2012 2:47:41 PM

nvdia 670 will be a better choice then amd 7950 if ur aim is only gaming. if u do 3D photoshop like work amd is a better choice. Intel cpu r better then amd for gaming.

recently saw a post related to adding ram, increasing gskill 8 gb kit to 16 gb by adding another 8 gb. The guy had some problem. When to called up gskill, they gave him a funny reply. They told him that 8 gb kits r test for r tested for 8 gb only and if he wants to add another 8 gb , he will have to buy the 16 gb kit.
May 30, 2012 2:51:06 PM

It's pretty good but get the i5-3570K.
!