Sign in with
Your question

Attempting upgrade form ati radeon 4200 to nvidia gtx550 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2012 10:22:17 AM

This is my first attempt at upgrading anything in a PC. It seemed pretty straight forward but now I'm here and completely stuck.

Current PC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavillion

System Mode:l AY614AAR-ABA p6347c

BIOS BIOS: Date 1/22/10 11:41:56 Ver:5.09

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) IIX4 630 Processor (4CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Page file: 1742MB used, 1001bMB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I upgraded the Power supply to a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Display

ATI Radeon HD 4200

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x9710)

DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Approx. Total Memory: 2937 MB

Current Display Mode: 1600 x 900 (32bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Generic PnP Monitor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 550 Ti. I opened the PC, put the card into the empty slot, and plugged everything in accordingly. When I put the provided disc in and selected install drivers I got an error that the card could not be detected.

After reading I see people saying I need to disable/uninstall the ati radeon 4200 via BIOS. I also see some people saying there is not an option in BIOS to disable ati radeon 4200. I think I need to restart the whole process but can't find a definitive answer on what step one should be. If someone could lay out what I need to do and in what order that would be an immense help.

I'm not even sure if this card is compatible with my PC, I wrote down my specs and brought them to Fry's Electronics where the salesperson sold me this card promising that it would work. If any other information is needed I will try to find it and post it :/  I don't have the money to bring my tower in and have them fix whatever I did wrong or that would be my first option.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 12:14:11 PM

I'm not familiar with that GPU. Is it onboard? If so then there's an option in the BIOS to either disable it or only use it when no other GPU is availiable.
You also didn't mention what motherboard you have ( or maybe I didn't see it )
m
l
March 30, 2012 1:16:36 PM

It is an onboard GPU from many many years ago lol and I'm not sure where to find the motherboard information.

I checked BIOS and there isn't even a graphics or display section which jives with what other google searches have turned up.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 1:40:25 PM

First of all you need to DISABLE the graphics on-board (i dont know personally that BIOS) and then the sistem should recognize your PCI-E card. If you have some problems, talk to HP, they can help you.
m
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 1:54:07 PM

IF you get video on the 550TI, it is detected by the system. Are you connecting your screen to that card or still on the onboard card?

You can also look for in in the device manager.

Many HP systems will auto disable onboard video when a new card is detected in the PCI-E slot.

Have you tried getting your drivers directly from Nvidia.com

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

EDIt, and you did remember the card needs its own power right? It is a plug on the end of the card(inside of the case not the output side).
m
l
March 31, 2012 10:47:25 AM

nukemaster said:
IF you get video on the 550TI, it is detected by the system. Are you connecting your screen to that card or still on the onboard card?

You can also look for in in the device manager.

Many HP systems will auto disable onboard video when a new card is detected in the PCI-E slot.

Have you tried getting your drivers directly from Nvidia.com

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

EDIt, and you did remember the card needs its own power right? It is a plug on the end of the card(inside of the case not the output side).

I think it was a power issue with the graphics card port/plug? it seemed a little loose so I pushed it in a bit more and now I keep coming up with a blank screen whenever I start the PC with the new graphics card inside. I have the monitor plugged into the graphics card port not the old one. The card is definitely receiving power because the fans are spinning. When I unplug the power from the graphics card and put the monitor cable back into the old port I get video just like before.

My device manager will only show the ATI Radeon 4200 (which I disabled and tried plugging in new card and restarting but still came up with a no signal on monitor)when I boot it without power to the Nvidia GTX 550 ti.
m
l
May 7, 2012 11:32:07 AM

This sounds all too familiar! I had purchased an HP - P6620F "Refurb" and it had the onboard HD4200 graphics package! I immediately ordered up a new GPU! Low and behold, same exact issue right down to the fan spinning and NO SCREEN!! I grabbed a 500 watt Rosewill thinking, just maybe it was a power issue. NOT! Long story short, after several phone calls to HP and posting here, IT WAS THE PCI-E SLOT ON THE MOBO!! IT WAS FUBAR! HP sent out a new motherboard after some extensive conversations, as it's still under warranty! I'd be willing to bet the slots no good. Right after they put the new mobo in, ON SITE, I popped the card in and viola! The big giant icons you get before you install drivers were there! From then on, no problem!! The GPU I used was the GT440 (getting rid if it!!) not the 550. Either way, like I said, it's probably the slot. We're not the first ones with this problem either! (Check around!) You also HAVE TO USE AN HP BOARD! They're proprietary to the machine. Trust me, I did do much homework with this one, it's not even funny!

Good luck!
Max

EDIT: Other thoughts...

Also, make sure you connect the PLUS 4 pins at the mobo with you're new PSU. For some unknown reason they (HP) only used the 20 pins instead of the 24. Their tech (HP) connected those PLUS 4 included with my Rosewill PSU. they weren't on the stock HP, PSU. Just a little extra info for you. You could have a different board but I thought it was worth a mention. You can also download "Speccy" from "Piriform" which will give you an in-depth list of specs about your machine! It's free!
m
l
!