Nov 18, 2011
System:
PSU - Earthwatts Green 650W
Mobo - ASRock AM3 M3A770DE
CPU - AMD ADX250O Athlon II X2 - 3.0 GHz AM3
RAM - TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX
Gfx - Sapphire Ultimate Radeon X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3
Windows XP Home (SP2)

While doing some wordprocessing, the display became suddenly distorted with white patches. I thought it might be a driver glitch but a reboot did not resolve, so closed down altogether and restarted from cold. No display, only "Input signal out of range" message.
I have tried booting to BIOS by hitting F2 and Delete on boot, also to safe mode by hitting F8, all to no avail.
I have tried a second monitor, with the same results.
I have tried replacing the DVI-DVI lead with a VGA-VGA lead with DVI-VGA converter, but then the message on the monitor is "no signal". Will try and rustle up another DVI-DVI lead to test the lead; the graphics card only has 2xDVI and an S-video output.
I have tried disconnecting everything except CPU and card, and one stick of RAM (have tried both sticks, alternately). All the same - "Input signal out of range". I hoped I'd at least see POST from this.

Should I conclude that the graphics card has died? Or are there other things I should try first?

StevieBates

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have also now tried clearing CMOS, no joy.

Since nobody has replied to this post, does that suggest it is in the wrong place on the forum, or just that we're all out of ideas?

Sometime it just takes a little time for the regulars to get to it.

"Input signal out of range" tells you that the computer is sending a picture that is higher resolution than the monitor can display.

Boot in "Safe Mode". Then when you reach the desktop, reset the video resolution to something like 800X600 and reboot into normal mode. You should be able to reset resolution to the monitor.

StevieBates

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Sorry both, I have already tried that. Having turned the PC on I have repeatedly tapped on the F8 key but it doesn't go into safe mode; it just continues showing "input signal out of range".

I also tried F2 and Del in the hope of getting the BIOS screen up - no joy there either.

I also figured that, if the resolution data is held on the HDD (as opposed to somewhere on the graphics card), then disconnecting the drive would cause it to stop after POST. But no matter what I do I don't even get a POST message, just the "Inoput &c"

:(

iannicholson

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I have the same problem now.

I have two identical monitors - 1920x1080/60. After installing new nVidia drivers version 301.42 for my GT520, one monitor shows "Input Signal Out of Range" the info display on the that monitor shows 1920x1080 at 59Hz! The one that still works shows 60Hz.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

If I change to a lower resolution, I do get the signal - and picture - back at 60Hz!

Solaith

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I have a similar problem; I've tried 3 different screens and they all show "input signal out of range". I have no way to know if I have even acessed the Advanced Boot Options because the screen will not display. I have had this computer for 2 years and i have acessed Safe mode countless times, so I think (90% sure) I'm hitting the right keys with the right timing. Could even Safe Mode be corrupted?

This started very suddenly, while I was surfing the web the screen started having massive tearing to the sides, it looked like the were 2 screens fighting for space at the same time. Is this a new virus or something?