Sign in with
Your question

Best Way to Install Cossair H100 - fans

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2012 11:07:04 PM

What is the best way to install the fans for H100 cooler or any model for that matter, I will assume the air should be blowing into the radiator and hence outside the case, or should it be blowing inside the case?

The way my case is setup(Cossair Obsidian 800D), I will attach the Radiator from inside to the top of the case, and I will now attach the fans at the bottom of the radiators. I now have the option to allow the fans to blow air into the case or allow the fans to blow air upwards into the radiators which are now directed outside the case.

Of course, I look at the later option of blowing the air upwards towards the radiators and going outside the case as the natural option, but I have seen some forums and video, where people have conflicting opinion.

Any experience on this issue will be appreciated

Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
PSU : Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX PSU (1200W digital)
CPU :Intel 3930K
Memory: 64GB Cossair Vengeance 1866MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 680
Cooler: Cossair H100 cooler
Case: Cossair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
HDD1:Two 240GB Intel SSD 520 Series (raid 0)
HDD2: WD Velociraptor 1TB - 10000 rpm at 6Gb/s
HDD3:2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 r.p.m 6Gb/s (back up)
Monitor: Three Dell U2412 Ultrasharp
ODD: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner
ODD2:Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable
RAM DISK: from 64GB total memory (48GB RAM, 16GB Ram Disk)
USE: memory intensive progamming C++, C#, MATLAB, 3D image processing, some gaming
September 23, 2012 11:22:29 PM

Did you already buy it? If not you can always go with cheaper and better alternatives.

Any reason why you are getting a 1200W PSU for 1 card? Even in SLI a 750W will power it all.

m
l
September 23, 2012 11:40:23 PM

"amuffin" is correct about the power supply, a 750 watt is plenty.

Also in regards to the H100, you will want a push/pull configuration. Hot air rises, so have two fans on the bottom of the radiator pushing air through in an upward direction, and two on top pulling air out in an upward direction too. I've tried the opposite way to pull cold air in, but it wasn't as effective. And you want cold air being pushed through the front too.
m
l
September 24, 2012 12:07:13 AM

Tnx guys for the reply. Yes I already bought H100, infact, the first one I bought on Amazon was not good, so I already requested a replacement. I was just looking for something I would not have to be maintaining. I will install it based on you guys recommendation.

For the power supply, I was just thinking that in future, I might need more power(adding more hardware, or upgrading some existing hardware), and I would not like to start looking to upgrade the PSU.

Funny... to be honest, the primary reason I bought the 1200W Digital power is becuase it uses Digital Signal Processing.... I specialize in Digital Signal Processing(DSP) in my Masters degree, so I always have attraction for anything that uses DSP concept.

Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
PSU : Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX PSU (1200W digital)
CPU :Intel 3930K
Memory: 64GB Cossair Vengeance 1866MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 680
Cooler: Cossair H100 cooler
Case:Cossair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
HDD1:Two 240GB Intel SSD 520 Series (raid 0)
HDD2: WD Velociraptor 1TB - 10000 rpm at 6Gb/s
HDD3: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 r.p.m 6Gb/s (back up)
Monitor: Three Dell U2412 Ultrasharp
ODD: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner
ODD2: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable
RAM DISK: from 64GB total memory (48GB RAM, 16GB Ram Disk)
USE: memory intensive progamming C++, C#, MATLAB, 3D image processing, some gaming

m
l
!