_strive_

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post/ask this, but my left fan on the GPU will not spin. It makes a grinding noise and tries to spin but it will not. Anyways is this repairable? It sounds/acts a lot like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFXWVyLrkM

I've cleaned the case/gpu thoroughly, so I'm assuming it isn't dust build up. I was wondering could I spray it with WD-40? Or would that mess it up? Where would I even need to spray it?

If fixing it isn't an option are their alternatives like buying VGA cooling to help the one fan that does work keep the GPU cool?

Please don't spray it with WD40.
WD40 conducts electricity....need I say more ?
Looks to me like the fan is catching on the shroud which probably means the bearing on the fan is damaged.
Looking around it seems that if you cant RMA the card you need to buy a whole new replacement cooler.

Mactronix :)

_strive_

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
The card in the video I posted isn't mine. It was just an example of what mines does/sounds like, mine are quite clean I spent a whole day cleaning it assuming that was the problem as well. I often clean it (monthly) as well.

I've been reading on Newegg and MSI forums that my card has some severe fan issues. And they usually die quite quick. I guess I should feel lucky they've lasted this long (1 year) most have died within 4-6 months. Anyways is it possible to replace the actual fans on a GPU? Since that seems to be the issue. Or is the only option RMA?

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Since you're looking for the original TF II fans and the cooler as it is,RMA is your only option.If the card is still within the warranty period,then you shouldn't wait any longer.