Can I still run 550 ti with this PSU?

xaos24

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hi,

I was wondering if I can upgrade my 9400gt card to 550 ti. But I'm very noobish when it comes to computer hardwares. I've did some research and found out that 550 ti needs 24a on a 12v rail.

Here what I found on the PSUs spec:

700w

+5v - 25a
-5v - 0.5a
+12v1 - 15a
+12v2 - 10a
+12v3 - 10a
+12v4 - 10a
-12v - 0.5a
+3.3v - 22a
+5vse - 2a

Can I still run 550 ti with this PSU?

Solution
I've seen an unbranded 1250watt PSU become dangerously unstable at half it's wattage specs! and once they cranked it to 1250watts it blew.

A 700w is more then enough, but personally I agree with the general consensus on this forum that you should stick to brands that are known for good PSUs and have a reputation to maintain, like Corsair which is my personal choice, I've also heard Antec do pretty good units. I heard cooler masters low-mid PSUs are about average, but nothing really special... there high end PSUs are supposed to be good though. but overall I'd say Corsair, all there PSU's are great from low to high end (maybe a little extra cost per watt but it's worth it!)

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah, never trust a generic or store brand PSU. The high end Rosewill's have been tested and they are good to go (Newegg House Brand). Antec, OCZ, PCP&C, Rosewill Capstone series and a couple others are good but please, never trust anything not "name brand"

xaos24

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
alright, I'll just install this card later until I get my new PSU just to be safe

@kleintrpt: That's a decent PSU, but I'll see if its available here because I'm outside of the US actually.

kleintrpt

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

I'm only saying that my experience has been good with that particular model with others on a budget and nothing more.

Otherwise, other good names other than Antec and OCZ are PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair.

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I've seen an unbranded 1250watt PSU become dangerously unstable at half it's wattage specs! and once they cranked it to 1250watts it blew.

A 700w is more then enough, but personally I agree with the general consensus on this forum that you should stick to brands that are known for good PSUs and have a reputation to maintain, like Corsair which is my personal choice, I've also heard Antec do pretty good units. I heard cooler masters low-mid PSUs are about average, but nothing really special... there high end PSUs are supposed to be good though. but overall I'd say Corsair, all there PSU's are great from low to high end (maybe a little extra cost per watt but it's worth it!)

Solution