Closed Solved

Ready for New GPU Maybe

My current build includes:

CPU Yorkfield Q9550 Quad
Mobo ASUS P5E3 Premium
Case ANTEC 900
Memory 8 gig Corsair DDR3 CNX4Gx3M2a1600C9
HDs 2 WD Velocoraptor 300 GB
SSD - Crucial M4 128
GPU Nvidia GTX 280
CU fan, optical drives, gaming mouse and keyboard etc..
Windows 7 Ultimate running 64 bit
local 100gb LAN
I will be moving to the ivybridge equivalent of the i5 2500K and a new MOBO to accommodate the new CPU – not picked the MOBO out yet, but the P5E3 was a bit of overkill with bells and whistles, so likely will look for a high performing flexible setup that will allow me to manage a rolling upgrade strategy with CPU and peripherals. So to my question – I would like to upgrade my GPU given the GTX 280 (ZOTAC) is a little long in the tooth and generates a lot of heat. About a month ago I was asking about upgrading my graphics and was advised to “wait for the Kepler cards” as that release would drive down other GPU prices as well as being better overall choice etc, etc. Now that a Kepler card is out, and given I don’t need the fastest card available (I think a GTX 560 Ti might be sufficient for my gaming needs) – should I continue to wait until more Kepler options are available or go forward and choose a new card now (I can wait another two months if need be). What I want to do is replace the GTS 280 at least by the time I finally get the new MOBO (whatever the forum guide me to) when I get the ivybridge CPU. The price range I have in mind is $350 – $400 – as is likely obvious, I’m no hardware maven but I do know enough to be able to take advice here and complete a build.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ready maybe
  1. I would go with a gtx 560 Ti or wait for the the gtx 680 to come down in price a bit, Also a gtx 580 which is cheaper now will be a great card for along time.
  2. I always advise against waiting, but in your case i'd wait until i was ready to do the new build altogether. Rolling updates sounds like more of a pain than anything else.

    That said, it's up to you obviously. With 350-400 you could get something considerably better than a 560ti. I'd look at a 7870.

    @cia why would the 680 come down in price? It's priced better than amd's offering already and is sold out. I don't see a price drop anytime soon.
  3. I would wait for the 560Ti equivalent of the Kepler to drop.
  4. Best answer
    If a wait of a month or so is not a problem, then wait.
    Today, the 2500K is as good as it gets for gaming, and the 3570K will be about 10% better at a similar price.
    I doubt that you would have buyer's remorse if you bought a 2500K now, except for not having the next best thing.
    I know that is not what yyou asked for opinions on.

    On the graphics side, the $500 GTX680 is as good as you can get for a single gpu graphics card.
    For gaming, the graphics card is the real engine, more so than the cpu. A strong card not only gives you higher FPS, but it also lets you run with more detail and eye candy.
    With the new 28nm based cards like the 7950/7970, and GTX680, you will run much cooler, and the accompanying noise will be much less.
    Consider busting your budget by $100, and buying a great graphics card, the GTX680. It is appropriate for your proposed cpu upgrades.

    At less than the top end, there is great competition, so you will get mostly what you pay for, based on price/performance. When new lower end kepler cards arrive, they will compete about evenly with the amd 7xxx series, so not much value in waiting there. If you truly don't want more than a middling card for gaming, then you can shop right now.
    Graphics card prices will not rise in the next month or so, and they probably will not go lower. When GTX680 availability improves, there will be some pressure on the amd 7970 which is currently priced $50 higher, and performs a bit lower. It remains to be seen if there is a 7970 lower price to meet the GTX680, then will that put pressure on lower amd cards as well? I think amd will resist lowering 7970 prices for that reason.

    Lower priced kepler cards do not seem imminent, and the stronger kepler also seems to be several months away.
    When ivy bridge launches, I don't think the picture will change. But who really knows?

    My suggestion is to shop for a GTX680 now. It may take a month before they come back in stock.
    You can use it to good effect in your current rig.
    I have sometimes regretted buying a cheaper part to save money, but have never regretted paying top dollar for the best.
  5. Best answer selected by Dienekes78.
  6. ^the only reason he would need a 680 is if he needs to play:
    -over 1920x1080
    -bf3 online never below 55fps
    -a 120hz monitor

    Other than that, the 680 is overkill. Overkill and a budget don't mix. It would future proof his build though.
  7. Good council, thanks for the insights and recommendations – I had decided to wait for the ivybridge upgrade, just on principle; also the CPU I have now is performing pretty well for the games I’m planning. I have a $1400 overall budget for the new mobo, cpu and gpu – if I spend $500 on the gpu I’d guess I can get the cpu and new mobo for the remaining $900 and likely have some cash left over given I’m not going to overkill the mobo like I did with my last build. - does the card manufacturere really matter (e.g. is ZOTAC and EVO bout the same?) Thank you
  8. I expect a 3570K to be about $230.
    A Z77 motherboard $150. No real need for sli capability or record seeking overclock potential.
    Your ram is 1.65v which may or may not be suitable. Regardless, $40 will buy you a 8gb kit.

    With a $500 gpu, that leaves you with about $500.

    Spend some of it on a second monitor which is a most useful addition.
  9. geofelt said:
    I expect a 3570K to be about $230.
    A Z77 motherboard $150. No real need for sli capability or record seeking overclock potential.
    Your ram is 1.65v which may or may not be suitable. Regardless, $40 will buy you a 8gb kit.

    With a $500 gpu, that leaves you with about $500.

    Spend some of it on a second monitor which is a most useful addition.

    My currnte monitor is middle of the road topping out at 1920 x 1200 so I could use a second or ather a replacement for the second which tops out at 1680 x 1050 - both are 2007, 2008 vintage the higher one being dell and the other an HP. Got a recommendation :D
  10. I happen to like 1920 x 1200 vs the cheaper 1080P(1920 x 1080) Dell is good, despite the age.
    Game on that one.

    For web work, I find it easier to have two identical monitors, so when you drag a window from one to the other, it does not change size.
    If the monitors are truly identical, then there is no color change either.

    But, since you already have a side monitor, then I don't see a big value in replacing it without a good use for the smaller monitor.
    Ivy bridge integrated graphics should support it, so you could have three.
    If you do, try to get the same or similar model as the first 1920 x 1200 dell.

    Isn't it tough to have money in your pocket, and an itch to spend it, but nothing attractive to spend it on? :)
  11. OHH Yeah! <Barry White voice>
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics