Sign in with
Your question

Very faint high pitched noise coming from my tower

Last response: in Components
September 24, 2012 3:56:18 AM

I can hear a very faint high pitched noise coming from the PSU or motherboard. I bought a video card, Sapphire Radeon 6950 OC 2gb gddr5 and power supply, Enermex 550w 80+ Bronze certified. I put those and my old parts into a new tower - HAF 912m, mobo- Asus CG5275 CPU-Intel core i5 650 @ 3.2Ghz. I shut it off and heard it the next morning, I turned off the switch and unplugged the PSU and it stopped. When I boot I can't hear it anymore due to my fans drowning it out, but people say on mumble/vent/TS they could barely hear it through my headset as a soft high pitched noise. Worried something might go out, I don't want to end up buying parts for a whole new computer before I wanted to. :sweat: 
September 24, 2012 8:20:35 AM

The hamster which powers your PSU may be ill or dying.

"Whines" are often attributed to coil noise ... PSUs and GPUs being the biggest culprits. When you say people on communication software could hear it, do you mean it was feeding back directly through your headset? Or do you mean it was loud enough to be picked up by the the mic? The first situation might suggest a grounding problem with your new case. The second I'd say is more likely the new GPU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 8:29:57 AM

psu might have coil whine, it happens to video cards too but typically only when they are being used heavily. coil whine is nothing to worry about outside of the sound itself.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 8:20:05 PM

Thank you for the response!
m
l
September 24, 2012 8:22:52 PM

noise said:
The hamster which powers your PSU may be ill or dying.

"Whines" are often attributed to coil noise ... PSUs and GPUs being the biggest culprits. When you say people on communication software could hear it, do you mean it was feeding back directly through your headset? Or do you mean it was loud enough to be picked up by the the mic? The first situation might suggest a grounding problem with your new case. The second I'd say is more likely the new GPU.

The sound was feeding back through my headset, they said it was like somebody whistling softly 20 ft away.
m
l
!