6870 losing all performance after startup

Rezol

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello,
I have had my XFX Radeon HD6870 for 1 ½ years but a month ago or so it started behaving weird. A couple of days I moved my OS to a new SSD I bought.

What happens is that right after AMD Vision Engine Control Center and all that starts up after booting, the card goes to 70-99% load immediatley and reaches an idle temperature of over 80°C. At this point it's less powerful than an old 3XXX card, unable to even move a desktop icon without massive stutter.

I'm monitoring the stats via my G15 display but GPU-Z shows the same values.

Now here's where it gets mysterious: If I go to Device Manager and disable/reenable the graphics card it starts working like it should BUT it doesn't provide any info anymore. It just shows "ERROR" all over the G15 display.

Is this a hardware error or does it have something to do with the SSD? I have tried multiple versions of the drivers without success.

Thanks.

EDIT: I went to CCC(Vision Engine CC) > Information > Hardware > Components > Display and looked at Installed Drivers.

Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

It feels to me like this is a bit too many but maybe it's supposed to look like that?

moving the OS to an SSD can cause all sorts of problems. I would do a fresh install and see if that fixes anything. Also, instead of 'upgrading' the CCC package, try uninstalling it entirely and then loading the current 'stable' version, and then only update it if there are updates that solve issues specific to the games you play.

Rezol

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Woah! Quick answer, thanks for that!

In that case, what folders on the system disk can I safely copy somewhere else and then put back after the install without risking to ruin something? Can I, for example, copy the entire Users folder and then just move it back? Also, are there any risks in exporting the registry and then importing it again? I'd rather not have to reinstall every single program and game.

I almost always remove everything CCC related before upgrading drivers.