Sign in with
Your question

Soldering a 12v dc jack to molex or Sata

Last response: in Components
September 24, 2012 8:24:08 AM

I wanted to get rgb led strips in my case but the ones that run off of molex are expensive so I want to use a strip powered by a 12v jack and solder the cable to a molex, would I be able to do that?
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 3:04:47 PM

If the LED strips are built for 12v and you know how to fabricate things, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to connect the device to a 12v line out of the PSU and make it work.

The 12v will probably be a yellow wire and the grounds will be the two in the center that are probably black.

I don't see any good reason it wouldn't work if you used them that way and you know what you are doing with all this.

I would guess the reason the MOLEX ones are expensive is because they already did the work for you so you don't have to do it yourself.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 4:38:07 PM

Are you sure the LED stripes include the electronic to limit the power? It sound to me like it's the "raw" version that needs a special PSU?
m
l
September 24, 2012 4:50:15 PM

EugeneWasSeen said:
I wanted to get rgb led strips in my case but the ones that run off of molex are expensive so I want to use a strip powered by a 12v jack and solder the cable to a molex, would I be able to do that?

Should work, no problems :)  Make sure the strips are rated for 12v though.
Soldering directly onto the molex pins would be kinda tricky, as the solder sometimes won't stick properly. I suggest you pluck out an old molex connector of an opposite type from some old computer junk, strip the wires about an inches length from the molex part, and then solder the led wires to that. This way you can easily disconnect and remove the LEDs when not required :) 
m
l
!