Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What operating system should i use?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 30, 2012 8:50:01 PM

This is a gaming system and that will be its only use. i don't know much about operating systems and need help finding out what one would be the best for my build.

Case: $80- CM Storm Scout

GPU: $400- MSI GTX 670

CPU: $240- i5-3570K(You don't need i7-2700K for gaming)

Cooler: $35- CM Hyper 212 Plus(For overclocking needs)

HDD & Optical Drive: $105- WD Cavier Blue 1TB & Asus

PSU & RAM: $145- Corsair TX750 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(8GB is more than enough for gaming needs, also this PSU can allow you to add another 670 in the future)

SSD & Motherboard: $244- Crucial M4 128 GB & Asrock Z77 Extreme4(Fast SSD, with Reliable motherboard that supports SLI/Crossfire)

Total(Excluding Rebates): 1249 USD

Rebates: 20 USD

More about : operating system

a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2012 8:52:08 PM

Win 7 Home Premium or Professional (Professional if you plan to run remote desktop to connect to YOUR computer. :) 
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
May 30, 2012 8:55:34 PM

Quote:
PSU & RAM: $145- Corsair TX750 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(8GB is more than enough for gaming needs, also this PSU can allow you to add another 670 in the future)


8GB is plenty and that PSU should allow for a second 670 down the road but I'm not sure.

Quote:
SSD & Motherboard: $244- Crucial M4 128 GB & Asrock Z77 Extreme4(Fast SSD, with Reliable motherboard that supports SLI/Crossfire)


Personally I'd go for a large 500GB - 1TB mechanical drive over an SSD as that room will run out quickly depending on what features you run. As far as that motherboard goes - I had it and it's not the greatest, it shorted out quickly every time I started it up and I eventually e-mailed Asrock about the problem with no luck. I finally returned it back to Newegg and got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
This is a gaming system and that will be its only use. i don't know much about operating systems and need help finding out what one would be the best for my build.


Windows 7 Home Premium - <=16GB RAM, basic Windows functions, card games, Windows Media Player, HTPC functionality, DVR functionality
Windows 7 Pro - >=16GB RAM, also has backward compatibility for XP legacy programs and drivers, remote desktop
Windows 7 Ultimate - all features of 7 Pro and Home Premium, extra security functions, XP Emulation mode, language packs
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2012 8:57:23 PM

If not CF/SLing, get the Pro3 Gen3 Z77.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 9:03:35 PM

Hallo :) 

Windows 7 Home Premium should do you fine.
It's what I'd go for anyway.

Just make sure the OS is 64 bit.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2012 9:20:17 PM

Yep - home premium 64-bit is the way to go.

Disagree with g-unit about the HDD. I'd nuke it completely and trade up your SSD to 256GB. I have a 160GB SSD and will not fill it up before its useful life is over.

Also, I have the Extreme4 mobo and love it. Unless something goes very wrong in the coming months/years I'm done with the other manufacturers.
m
0
l
May 31, 2012 1:49:56 AM

I am also a student and i can get an operating system upgrade for next to nothing to Windows 7 Ultimate. Can i use an Emachines t2984 Restore dvd to put on windows xp and then upgrade it?
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
May 31, 2012 3:59:42 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Yep - home premium 64-bit is the way to go.

Disagree with g-unit about the HDD. I'd nuke it completely and trade up your SSD to 256GB. I have a 160GB SSD and will not fill it up before its useful life is over.

Also, I have the Extreme4 mobo and love it. Unless something goes very wrong in the coming months/years I'm done with the other manufacturers.


I guess I'm used to using my PC for way more than just games - I have a rather extensive media collection that I store on the 1TB on my computer (although it's only 1/2 full). I'm personally not a fan of running SSDs above 128GB due to the ridiculous cost per GB of the higher capacity drives - that's where the 1TB comes in handy.

I'm kind of iffy on Asrock right now - I had originally purchased the Extreme 4 for my system and it kept shorting out and giving me boot loop issues - I contacted Asrock immediately about the problem - it's been two weeks and I have yet to hear back from them.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2012 4:58:10 AM

I hear ya G. I keep media on a completely separate PC and never the two shall meet (the other is raid 1 with a backup to an external).

Hope that's an isolated incident and not the norm for ASRock.
m
0
l
!