Sign in with
Your question

Should I buy a new video card to replace mine?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2012 8:47:53 PM

Hey,
I am not too tech savvy , but I see all these great video cards coming out and with me getting taxes back I may buy a new video card. I am wondering if it would be a waste to replace the one I have? I have a XSI 1GB Ati Radeon 5870. I'm an 3d artist for video games so I need some power, but I do game often as well. I am paranoid about heat and noise so something that is quite then this card I have now would be nice.

I'm looking into getting either a 680 or 570, and I set a budget of $500 (can go a bit over)

so
1. Should I bother upgrading my card or is it still good? (I think its a few years old?)
2. Should I wait for the other 600 models to come out?
3. Or get 680/570 or something else?

Thanks guys
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 9:14:38 PM

The question "should I buy a new video card" is simple enough to answer yourself: do you play games at the settings you want with the FPS you want? If the answer is yes (be it that you want higher FPS or higher settings, or both) then get yourself an upgrade. The GTX 680 is the fastest single GPU card out there right now, right beside the ati 7970.

1. like I said above, if you want more speed then do it
2. Tech is constantly moving, once the new 600 cards come out there will be something else to wait for.
3. I'd get the 680 if you can find one, or a 7970 if you can get one for $500
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:18:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't as much fps as i'd want and the 5870 I have gets really noisy and it bothers me, but I suppose I can tolerate it. I just don't know how much of a big difference a 680, 570 or whatever would be to it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 9:34:18 PM

You'd get a MASSIVE increase in speed getting either the 570 or 680. The 680 is what I would get if you were looking purely at nVidia. It's just a matter of finding one. Personally I'm waiting for some of the custom versions the different manufacturers make (custom heatsink and fan setups).
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:35:21 PM

Can you provide your full system specs as well as what resolution monitor you have and what games you play?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 9:44:54 PM

a gtx 570 is faster but isnt that much faster than the 5870 to make it a real upgrade. its hard to say what u want without know what programs you use, im not really up to speed with 3d production software but you may benefit more from a quadro or a firepro card which are designed and optimized for such a use but they are a lot more expensive. that saying the 7970 works much better in a professional/graphic design scenario a lot better than a 680 but a 680 is faster in its own right as a consumer gaming card. to some it up if gaming is your number 1 priority wait for availability of 680's to come back and get an aftermarket cooled variant, if you want the best compromise of professional/gaming get a 7970 or if your priority is 3d production etc look into firepro and quadro graphics cards. hope this helps a bit
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:46:48 PM

Here are my specs, and I play at 1920x1080 and I play games like BF3, TF2, eventually Metro 2033 lol and would the custom ones be more expensive though? :

m
l
March 30, 2012 9:55:44 PM

5870 isn't a bad card, really. But if you're feeling like you're not getting the performance you want, then the next best thing would probably be a GTX 680 (if you can find one) or a 7950.

Then after that you'll probably want to look into upgrading your CPU.

When you say custom ones, what do you mean?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 10:02:50 PM

By custom I mean the different fans and such that the different manufacturers use, something like MSI's twin frozr designs and such. EVGA is also coming out with a 4gb 680 sometime in the future.
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:05:57 PM

My processor doesn't really give me any issues tbh, it runs everything I need
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:06:50 PM

Typically some vendors release special designs like Twin Frozr with unique cooling or an overclock and yes, they will be more expensive, but not by a whole lot. However, the difference between a reference card and a factory overclock card of the same model is not going to be significant compared to going up to a better model.

I have no idea what's required for 3D modeling, but 4GB is massive overkill for gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 10:09:22 PM

The big reason for 4gb is that it might provide better multi-screen gaming. Only time will tell though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2012 7:06:55 AM

aajohnny said:
My processor doesn't really give me any issues tbh, it runs everything I need

dont let anyone talk u into a faster processor its not needed if you want more power get aftermarket heatsink and fan (if you dont have one) and overclock it to 4ghz problem solved i run my 2500k at stock speeds and still run ultra gfx @60fps in bf3 im sure a 930@ 4ghz would keep up with that btw i have a 6950 1 gb and that is supposed to be similar performance wise to your 5870
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:40:28 PM

Hi, Im am in the Same boat as the original poster.

I am a 3D Artist and casual latest game /BF3 Player. I would like to Upgrade my whole system.

I currently have a i7-920, Sapphire 5870, 6 Gig RAM(Help Needed Choosing New Ones), 3 crappy hard drives..... Will be getting SSD's ( can anyone help with a recommendation for those SSD as well. I was thinking Corsair?)

If i can get a great workstation / casual gaming rig set-up that would be great. I am willing to sacrifice gaming specs, for rendering preformance in a 3D program like Max or Maya or zBrush.

Im interested in the GTX 680 also , as i have no clue where to start for workstation cards.

I am going to be getting an i7 2600k soon. im also looking at the Asus P8Z77 or TUF SABERTOOTH Z77. are these workstation worthy?

m
l
!