• Components
Last response: in Components
September 24, 2012 12:01:44 PM

First, my specs
Asrock z77 pro3 mobo
8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram (crucial ballistics sport) in slots 1&3
Sapphire HD7850 OC Edition GPU in PCIE 3.0 slot
i5-3570k w/ intel graphics HD4000
Acer 21.5" 1080p monitor (60Hz refresh rate etc. etc.)
I don't think anything else is applicable, just ask of you need any more.

My problem:
So whenever I play games other than minecraft such as tf2 and crysis, the game will run for anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes before inevitably crashing, giving me one of two thing 1) red and orange vertical lines about 1/6" wide across my screen with a .5" audio loop playing from when the game crashed or 2) give me a black screen with the same audio loop. Either way I have to shut down my computer.

This problem has only occurred when my monitor is plugged into my GPU. When i plug it into the motherboard and unplug the gpu's power supply, using only the intel hd4000, the problem does not occur. I ran a memory diagnostic+I tested the ram using prime 95, so I think it's a problem withe the gpu.

I installed catalyst driver from sapphires website and a few drivers from Asrock before I decided that they were taking too long. I installed about 5 drivers before giving up and using the disks that came with the mobo+gpu

So do I need to RMA my gpu or was I just an idiot with installing the drivers?

If its an issue with the drivers, i need help with how to fix it. Thanks!

More about : games crashing minutes

September 24, 2012 12:10:31 PM

Don't run it with the GPU plugged in but not connected to power even running the internal GPU it can damage the card &/or motherboard.
Try running memtest if it passes run OCCTs graphics card stress test while keeping an eye on the GPU temp. You can also try a driver update.
Also what PSU do you have?
m
l
September 24, 2012 2:11:36 PM

what are your CPU and GPU temps while gaming?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 24, 2012 2:33:06 PM

Sounds like the GPU is busted. Both failure cases are typical of the VRAM on the card being bad; you'll either see corruption on the screen, or the entire driver will hang and never recover.

Best solution is to RMA the card. I suspect its faulty.
September 24, 2012 5:32:52 PM

doct3rphil said:
what are your CPU and GPU temps while gaming?

CPU around 40-45degrees celsius, gpu around 35-45
m
l
September 24, 2012 5:37:33 PM

simon12 said:
Don't run it with the GPU plugged in but not connected to power even running the internal GPU it can damage the card &/or motherboard.
Try running memtest if it passes run OCCTs graphics card stress test while keeping an eye on the GPU temp. You can also try a driver update.
Also what PSU do you have?

Okay so if I want to test the internal graphics alone I should remove the GPU from the pci slot altogether you mean? I ran memtest, but I don't know to to run memtest for VRAM. I'll check out occt's graphic thingy. CPU and gpu temp are around 40-45 degrees (I'll be getting a hyper 212 for CPU soon, maybe if I wind up RMAing the card).

I have the Antec 620c Eco PSU.
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:26:02 PM

Okay so if I want to test the internal graphics alone I should remove the GPU from the pci slot altogether you mean?
Yes or leave the power connected.
I ran memtest, but I don't know to to run memtest for VRAM.
Its just for system RAM
I'll check out occt's graphic thingy. CPU and gpu temp are around 40-45 degrees (I'll be getting a hyper 212 for CPU soon, maybe if I wind up RMAing the card).
Check what temp the GPU runs at when running OCCT

Your PSU should be fine then
m
l
October 5, 2012 12:40:34 AM

Best answer selected by Waldinian.
m
l
!