Help choosing a budget gaming computer.

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hi, I have recently been looking to purchase a gaming computer in the range of 800 to 900 dollars. I had bought an iBuyPower from best buy twice, the first one came with a faulty DVD drive, and the second one's NIC card broke within the second week, rendering it inoperable. So, I have decided against purchasing the same computer again :p. However, I am looking to buy one with about the same specs, in the same price range. But, I have a few concerns.

First, now, after having two broken computers, I am extremely apprehensive about warranties.

I can buy from costco, get an extremely good warranty and upgrade the GPU. However, this would be expensive, with an extra graphics card on my hands, and possibly a monitor.

I can buy from CyberPower, but I live in Canada, so if even the slightest thing goes wrong, it would cost me hundreds of dollars in shipping charges. And I have heard horrible things about their customer service and tech support.

I could build my own, with my dad's help, and kinda wing it. But I wouldn't know exactly which parts to buy, and if something went wrong, it would be a pain to figure out which individual part was broken, and to return it.

I am only 14 years old, so money is a big factor. If something breaks, I NEED a refund. I can't afford to spend any extra money on a replacement part.

Specs for the iBuyPower:
i5-2500k running at 3.4GHz
Radeon HD 6850 1GB
1TB HDD
not sure about the motherboard

Thank you very much for your time!

So why dont you just put in a new DVD or Nic card in the other PCs, whould be the cheepest thing to do ?

If you want a new PC Building it with DAD would be a good way to go ( You Know ) the father son thing.

^ Dont you guys have PC shops up there in Canada you can buy parts from ? case a part is broke you can return it ?

I would never buy a PC ( but i understand ) some people just cant build one.

I can look around the net see what i can find in your Country to pick parts from i know newegg.ca only

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Yeah, a replacement would be fine, but I don't think they should be sending out defective parts in the first place. I've already returned the other computers anyway. My real concern is if it breaks in the future. I would like my computer to last for a long time. If it breaks in the first month or so, no sweat. But after a year or two? It's expensive to replace.

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I think so, there might be. I've been looking at a couple barebones kits that I might just stick a 6850 into.

Do you have your old PCs ? if so can you tell me the Specs ? You might be able to salvage some parts and get better parts,
let me know and i can try to help you get the most out of your dallor.

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
None of the computers are mine; they're my dad's. And the only desktop that we never use doesn't really have anything useful.

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
That's way out of my budget. I really don't need a 7850, anyway. Would I need a 650watt, or could I afford to go a bit lower?

chrigreg

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Apparently I can only email it. Anyway, it's 8gb of kingston 1600mhz ram, 1TB Barracuda Seagate HDD, asus dvd drive, rosewill challenger atx gaming computer case, antec 550w psu, sapphire radeon hd 6850, i5-3570k, and I'm deciding between the one you suggested and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293.

It should be just under 800 dollars, and then I need to buy the os.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
You may think that the build is only a bit over $900 but don't forget to add the HST. Here in Ontario, it's 13%. I really hate it because I want to keep the cost low and try to fit in an SSD and a 7850 but the price goes over 1100 easily..