Want to buy gtx 680, but which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I want to buy gtx 680 as so0n as possible as i have a lot of free time with me at the moment.
The brands that are available in India are Zotac ,asus ,msi,palit all reference.prices are 648.613 USD,904.155 USD , msi not known,palit not known(again all are reference).

Also how much should I wait for the custom version to appear although they would probably cost me 60-100 $ more.

Solution

Hmm yeah I noticed also the ridiculus prices from asus.
Then you should wait a couple weeks to see what zotac has to offer as a non-reference...

Where did you get the idea that MSI's card has a little OC on the core clock?

The turbo boost to 1058 MHz is common to all of the reference design GeForce GTX 680 cards.

msi advertised it then pulled it from the site

heres what i found

Carrying the model number N680GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC, the card features NVIDIA-reference board design. It features out of the box overclocked core speeds of 1056 MHz (base core), 1111 MHz (boost core), vs. reference speeds of 1006 MHz (base core), 1058 MHz (boost core). The memory clock is unchanged, at 6.00 GHz (GDDR5 effective).

Update: Sources among retail channels told us that this particular model (N680GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC) was canned at the very last moment. It's possible, however, that the 1056(core)/1111(boost) MHz clock profile could be carried over to future non-reference design models, such as the Twin Frozr IV.

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

Yeah ,sorry about that.Got confused I guess.

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
So i should just go with the MSI version .
What about those solid capacitors etc ,would they have an impact.
Also Zotac is the most easily available brand here .I might be able to shave of 40$ on it.Any thoughts on this.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I read alot about Zotac because I was able to pick this brand up. Everything from what I've read says Zotac is great. If you read enough you're going to see hiccups in the customer service just like any other brand, but overall seems like a good company. They are new to the US as of 2007 but sounds like they have been a big name in the UK for a while. At this stage of the game with the 680 all are reference cards so there is not going to be a huge difference between one to the next. I wouldn't be surprised if they made all of these at the same warehouse then ship to the different companies so they can slap their own plastic to it.

Hello.

Hardware Heaven

TweakTown

And from what they tested, one of the reviews did a good overclock and managed X3955!!!! on 3Dmark 11 extreme.
It seems to be an awesome card from what they are saying:

HardwareHeaven:
"The first custom GTX 680 is a hugely impressive card. Palit provide gaming performance above the standard model while keeping noise levels and temperatures lower. The JetStream edition also managed to reach the highest overclock we have seen from a GTX 680 so far."

TweakTown:
"The base of the video card, the GTX 680, is an awesome platform for Palit. NVIDIA have done a great job with this GPU, they've set it at an awesome price point and performance compared to the AMD offerings is amazing. Working with that, Palit are then able to tweak the card, strap on some brilliant new cooling, and in the end you get this - the Palit JetStream GTX 680 2GB is simply put a beast of a video card. "

p01872_bigimage_5914f73b9d344faf.jpg

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

well Zotac has been in India for a long time.I had even owned a 9600gt from them.I had to rma it 1 year after purchase,took a whole month for the procedure plus they returned me synergy edition(low power consumption,low performance).
I have an msi 5850 oc edition.I used to run it at 94 c at maximum temperature and still it works flawlessly.

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Just me but once I have a bad experience with a company I usually don't go back to them because then even the smallest thing can happen and I will go on a bashing lol

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

Thanks for the info.
So in your opinion is it worth the wait (15-20) days plus 80-100$ over normal one.

You welcome.
Palit wasn't charging a lot for non-reference cards. Mostly they had the same price or $20-$30 max. (like sonic platinum editions: pe: GTX570 sonic platinum at the 1st day of release had only $10 more while it had a great cooler and it had the best factory oveclock that time http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_570_Sonic_Platinum/ )

So for something like $30 more I think we shouldn't even talking about it. :D
Also I think its worth the wait. I would never buy nowadays a reference card when there are non-reference at almost same price. And I dont think that you have to wait so much... (maybe next week will be on the newegg's list)

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

But in India it's usually the case that you have to pay 80-100$ more for these card.
And it will be available at least 20 days from now in India.

I understand the delay but $100 more?
From what I looked on some sites:
Palit GTX580 ref: Rs. 29035 http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Palit+GTX580+1536MB+GDDR5+NVidia+PCI+E+Graphic+Cards_C45P9373.html
Palit GTX580 non-ref with 3GB vram: Rs. 30955 http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Palit+GeForce+GTX580+3072MB+GDDR5+NVidia+PCI+E+Graphic+Cards_C45P10372.html

Rs. 1920 = $37 but you mostly pay for xtra vram

I think 2 weeks ago I tried to help someone with an Indian shop and I didnt see so much dif either.

:)

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

These prices are ok now but gtx 580 was launched at 700+ dollars and same is the case with gtx 680.
you will see these kind of prices when 7 series is released.
plus with zotac the retailers have more margin (don't know why(supply is better)).
so in a nutshell
zotac gtx 680 would cost me 609$.
while palit jet stream will cost me at least 746$.
look at the price of reference gtx 680 from asus
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/asus-launch-their-gtx-680-atwallet-melting-price_685783.html
for zotac
http://www.thinkdigit.com/Parts-Peripherals/ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-680-Review_9087.html

Hmm yeah I noticed also the ridiculus prices from asus.
Then you should wait a couple weeks to see what zotac has to offer as a non-reference card, it might be priced similarly. Meanwhile other brands (except asus :p) might unveil better than the reference card at reasonable price. If not then go for that zotac ref card.
But a new GPU just appeared in the market. Give them some time and I believe they will give us great non-ref cards :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.