i7 3770k
ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo
Patriot Viper 2133MHz (2x4GB)
GTX670 2GB
Kingston 128GB V+200 SSD
Hitachi 500GB HD
WD 80GB HD
M-Audio Delta44 PCI Soundcard

The system is watercooled running an EK DCP 2.2 pump and a 360 Radiator with 3 EK Coolstream 1600RPM fans on it. There are also 2x120mm fans, 1x140mm fans and 1x200mm fan. The power supply I bought to power all this was an OCZ ZS 550w.
For the first 2 days while running leak-testing and installing windows, drivers and such it was ok. Yesterday I was about 3 hours into a Skyrim gaming session where the GPU was being pushed (Ultra settings plus a few shader mods and HD texture packs). I was constantly monitoring temps and the GPU never exceeded 35 degrees and the CPU 40 degrees. The PC however suddenly and without warning shutdown. I remember before there being a kind of grating noise coming from the PC. Subsequently the PC will not power on at all. I have tried disconnecting everything and seeing if the PSU will run the pump alone but no go. My question is did I buy a too low wattage PSU and burn it out? Should I look now for a higher power one, say 750w?

P.S Sorry for the wall-o-text, just trying to explain the problem best I can,

Cheers.

More about : psu query

a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 2:40:18 PM

What case do you have all of this in?

The temperature internal to the PSU is one of the most important temperatures in the PC and which case you are using dramatically affects the temperature internal to the PSU (a temperature your programs can't measure).

You probably did blow the PSU, however, the fix might not be as simple as buying a higher wattage PSU.

For that matter, OCZ as a brand is usually average at best. I would suggest potentially changing manufacturers while you are at it.

You will probably have to change the PSU regardless of what you do. When you look on Newegg for PSU models only pay any attention to ones that say they got awards from either HardwareSecrets or JohnnyGuru. If you do that, you will know you are getting something that is built to last. Ignore all the other PSU options available that don't get awards from one of those two websites.

That said, lets discuss your case and cooling setup, because the case may deserve some of the blame in this case. Usually in instances like these it does.
September 24, 2012 2:47:57 PM

The case is a Xigmatek Elysium. I had routed all cables behind the case so the actual inside is very clutter free. The PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case and is close to the 200mm side intake fan. When checking on a wattage calculator (bearing in mind they can be inaccurate) it was recommended that I needed 410 watts. I thought the 550w PSU would cover it but on close inspection it only has about 400w available on the 12v rail. I suppose its kind of my fault for cheaping out on the PSU :pfff: 

P.S Thankyou for the quick reply!
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 2:55:15 PM

Never heard of the case so that is one strike against it, but it doesn't look too bad from the pictures.

If you only have 400w on the 12vs, you probably just have a sucky PSU, yes. Whatever PSU you get needs to be able to deliver 95% of its labeled wattage on the 12v. All of the ones that get good reviews from the two websites I said will be like that. It is a requirement to get a good rating in the first place.

If I were you, I would avoid cheaping out on PSUs in the future. They are connected to everything you spent lots of money on (motherboard, video card, etc) and they can blow up anything they are connected to when they fail.

Maybe it didn't happen this time. Hopefully it didn't. If you were lucky enough now that there was no hardware damage done, maybe next time you won't be so lucky.

Just do what I suggested and you will be fine.

Keep the case for now.

- Edit - BTW, its hard to tell from the pictures whether the case has holes under the PSU mount to intake air from under the PC or if it is one of those cases where it intakes air from the top of the PSU. If it does have the ability to intake from under the PC, I would highly suggest you get a PSU built to intake air from under itself. If it doesn't have air intakes under the PSU mount, I would advise you to consider making some yourself and putting that kind of PSU in it regardless.
September 24, 2012 3:04:11 PM

Yes, I had not heard of the case much but it came recommended as a watercooling case due to being able to internally fit a 360 radiator (recommended from a website here in the UK, overclockers).

I've learnt my lesson about PSU's now, just annoying that I had it in the back of my mind not to cheap out on any components then cheaped out on the thing supplying all the power.

Thankyou very much for your help. Here's hoping nothings fried. :sweat: 
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 3:09:36 PM

Aurokh said:
Hi all,

New to the forum so hello! I recently built this system 3 days ago,

i7 3770k
ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo
Patriot Viper 2133MHz (2x4GB)
GTX670 2GB
Kingston 128GB V+200 SSD
Hitachi 500GB HD
WD 80GB HD
M-Audio Delta44 PCI Soundcard

The system is watercooled running an EK DCP 2.2 pump and a 360 Radiator with 3 EK Coolstream 1600RPM fans on it. There are also 2x120mm fans, 1x140mm fans and 1x200mm fan. The power supply I bought to power all this was an OCZ ZS 550w.
For the first 2 days while running leak-testing and installing windows, drivers and such it was ok. Yesterday I was about 3 hours into a Skyrim gaming session where the GPU was being pushed (Ultra settings plus a few shader mods and HD texture packs). I was constantly monitoring temps and the GPU never exceeded 35 degrees and the CPU 40 degrees. The PC however suddenly and without warning shutdown. I remember before there being a kind of grating noise coming from the PC. Subsequently the PC will not power on at all. I have tried disconnecting everything and seeing if the PSU will run the pump alone but no go. My question is did I buy a too low wattage PSU and burn it out? Should I look now for a higher power one, say 750w?

P.S Sorry for the wall-o-text, just trying to explain the problem best I can,

Cheers.

Single 38 amp ( 456 watts ) rail plenty of power sounds like you got a dud
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 3:14:12 PM

I don't know how much you paid for that PSU, but I am guessing probably about 30 or 35 pounds. Probably more like 300 or 350 pounds for the video card. It would be truly a sad thing if a L35 thing blew up and took a L350 thing with it.

Here is hoping it didn't.

I usually recommend spending about 10% of a computer's budget on a good PSU. If you do spend that much of the budget and you make sure to spend it the right way (research how I described) I don't think you will have very much to worry about.

It is the times when you spend like 1 - 2% of the budget on the PSU that you really have to worry. An L35 PSU would be about 2% of the budget on a PC that clocks in at about L1750. You probably aren't there with this setup, but its probably closer to 2% than 10% in any event.

I would aim for something closer to L70.

Replace the L's with that pound symbol for local currency.
September 24, 2012 3:17:43 PM

Raiddinn said:
- Edit - BTW, its hard to tell from the pictures whether the case has holes under the PSU mount to intake air from under the PC or if it is one of those cases where it intakes air from the top of the PSU. If it does have the ability to intake from under the PC, I would highly suggest you get a PSU built to intake air from under itself. If it doesn't have air intakes under the PSU mount, I would advise you to consider making some yourself and putting that kind of PSU in it regardless.

The bottom is just like one massive grill with a mesh dust filter on it. In any case I'll send them back the PSU and go for one recommended by those reviewers, and higher powered just to be on the safe side I guess. I dont think that PSU is built to take air from underneath so will take that into consideration.

Thanks again for the help.
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 3:27:49 PM

If the PC has a grill with a dust filter under the PSU mount, I would highly suggest you use it if possible.

If your PC is sitting on carpet or something so that it won't be able to use that as an intake then you may have to stick with one that pulls air from above the PSU, but the ones that pull air from below work better and longer in the correct environments than those that pull from above the PSU do.

They also disrupt airflow in the case less than those which pull from above.

With the fan on the bottom, it also helps make sure you don't drop screws or something into it as well. A protection that is not at all worthless.

The PSU I have, the XFX Pro 650w Core usually has a pretty good price compared to the quality and power it provides. Not sure if its available in the UK or not, but it is a very good one here in the states. If not, any other PSU that qualifies from according to above should be just as good.
September 24, 2012 3:37:31 PM

The bottom of the case sits on stands that lift it above the carpet by about 2 inches and is also on wheels. Does the PSU you suggested draw air from underneath? If so I will go for that one. Thankyou.
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 7:19:14 PM

I have it and its oriented down in my case. Naturally, it orients that way. However, most PSUs will fit either direction in any sort of case. It just matters which way you install it.
!