First build, which CPU should I get

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys and gals,

I'm going to be starting my very first build shortly, and I'm a bit stuck on which CPU to get.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RUZKK6/ref=bt_tpi_430515031_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FA8NX2/ref=bt_tpi_430515031_3

They're both around the same price, in fact the ivy bridge is slightly cheaper at the moment. I am leaning towards the ivy because it's the newer model although, I have heard it does heat up a lot more than the sandybridge which is a little worrying.

So my question is, which of these two CPU's should I get?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Your links messed up, just copy and paste the links don't bother with the BB code stuff.

Well the Ivy is cheaper in this case and newer so go with the ivy, the heat issue comes in when are overclocking and you bump up the voltage.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
if your going to overclock go with the i5 2500k, it overclocks higher. i would recommend a 3rd party fan.
there both very good and advance processors, anyone you pick, your going to have a very good build.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah, I'm not totally sure if I will overclock or not. With my luck I'd probably fry the whole thing. Is overclocking really worth the performance boost? And does it potentially shorten the lifespan of your parts? I know very little about it :whistle:

Thanks again. :sol:

Phil Whickham

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Overclocking does shorten the lifespan of all parts that are sensitive to heat, which is most if not all. If you overclock, pay the extra bones for a quality aftermarket fan to cool everything down. Most parts manufacturers (CPU, GPU, RAM, HD) try to aim for a 5-10 year lifespan for parts and if they aren't properly cooled, you can count on halving that.
However, if you are the kind of dude who upgrades every two years anyway, it's probably not going to be an issue anyway.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
if you don't know what your doing, i wouldn't recommend overclocking just for that extra benefit. It doesn't shorten there lifespan if your doing it correctly. just make sure you have decent cooler and airflow. you should be fine.

what are you going to be doing on your computer?

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
This will be my gaming PC. So the i5 3570k is the best choice for stock performance and it's decent enough for overclocking if I decide to do that as well?

If so that's at least one item confirmed to be in my build :D

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The 3570K doesn't have to be overclocked as much to reach the same performance as a 2500K overclocked (4.5GHz on the 2500K = 4GHz on the 3570K).

You can find lots of guides on the web that show you how to overclock, you learn and learn until you eventually get familiar with overclocking and you won't need guides anymore.

Here is a video on overclocking the 3570K, you can trust the guy ( his name is Linus) as he makes videos about all sorts of hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIWTX-jy9A

Also the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is a good budget overclocking heatsink that you can start of with.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for the help guys! I'll go with the ivy :D

And big thanks for the video jay, Linus makes it look so easy.

Now to finalise the rest of my rig. :whistle:

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
PMC,

I was in your shoes this summer. I went with the 3570k and ASRock z77. Also, Coolermaster 212 evo ... runs like a clock!

Notes:

1. I'd consider ASRock z75 - about $50 less for all the items i value
2. I still have not overclocked yet. I have no reason to. When I do I'll O/C to 4.0. ASRock Bios makes it easy ....

Good Luck !

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Good to hear it's working well for you mate :D Any particular model you would suggest? I tend to struggle when it comes to differentiating between mobos. It's all EXTREME this and PRO that! :lol:

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I own the ASRock Z77, extreme 4. At the time I was thinking possible crossfire/SLI. I am no longer interested in that ... too much pain, not enuff gain for me. I'll just buy a better GPU when needed.

What I would do now would be the ASRock Z75 Pro3. Again, it's about $50 less and has everything I'd need.

Did some newegg.com research after my first post. Looking at the reviews most motherboards appear to have about a 10% failure rate for various reasons including install issues ... I'm a noob and my ASRock experience has been positive to date.

Buy and SSD for your operating system. You'll love it.

Good luck !!