from the following specification of my mobo can you tell me which pcie version it has and will it support pcie 2.1?
intel 102ggc2 (BIOS-2007)
PCI Express* Connectors
The board provides the following PCI Express connectors:
• One PCI Express x16 connector supporting simultaneous transfer speeds up to 8 GBytes/sec
• One PCI Express x1 connector. The x1 interface supports simultaneous transfer speeds up to
The PCI Express interface supports the PCI Conventional bus configuration mechanism so that the
underlying PCI Express architecture is compatible with PCI Conventional compliant operating
systems. Additional features of the PCI Express interface include the following:
• Support for the PCI Express enhanced configuration mechanism
• Automatic discovery, link training, and initialization
• Support for Active State Power Management (ASPM)
• SMBus 2.0 support
• Wake# signal supporting wake events from ACPI S1, S3, S4, or S5
• Software compatible with the PCI Power Management Event (PME) mechanism defined in the
PCI Power Management Specification Rev. 1.1
PCI-E 2.1 and 2.0 are the same. There aren't 2.1 ports on motherboards it is only for GPU and both will perform the same. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15112/eng/D102GGC2_Tech... your motherboard manual
Your motherboard is only version 1.0 which is still compatible but with a slight performance hit with higher GPU (if it can fun higher than 1.0's bandwidth).
But the motherboard is only a socked LGA775, so what CPU do you have? The CPU may be so restrictive to the system GPU that it's better to just build new.
The LGA775 was released in 2006 and is now 6 years old, you're in dire need or a replacement before you can upgrade.